How often should I bathe my German Shepherd?

I was just wondering how often it's necessary to bathe a German Shepherd. A couple times a month? More? I don't want to over bathe him, because that's not good for some dogs coats. But I don't want him smelling and being dirty either. So what is the right amount?

Asked by Member 1001142 on Aug 19th 2010 Tagged bathing, german, shepherd, frequency, amount in Bathing

Answers

Petri

Anywhere from 2-4 weeks is fine. If you brush him weekly you can go longer in between baths. Getting rid of the dead, greasy fur will help cut down on the stinkiness too. Use a mild shampoo when you bathe him to keep his skin from drying out. I personally love PETfection Puppy Suds because it rinses super easy. My pug has thick fur like shepherds and I hate shampoo that stays trapped and you have to rinse forever. If you want to check out it out go to www.myPETfection.com All of their products are 100% organic. Hope this helps!

Petri answered on 8/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Deogie gets a full bath at most 3 times a year. Our routine works for him, he stays absolutely beautiful and smelling great. Daily he gets a brush, this gets rid of shedding fur, dirt and gets the natural oils lubricating his skin and keeping his lush fur soft. Other daily duties, face is washed, inside ear flaps wiped down with baby wipes and teeth checked.
Weekly his nails are checked at the vets, trimmed when needed and a butt wash, which he HATES.
Monthly he goes to the groomer for a good raking and a sanitary trim if needed.
Deogie never smells and almost daily people ask if he's a show dog. If your dog rolls in something stinky he would obviously need a bath but other than that I don't think a dog needs a bath once a month. Too many bathes can dry the skin out, instead grab a brush, this will keep him dirt free and the oils with keep his skin/fur healthy and soft.
Have a good one.

Goodness me!! Twice a month is WAY too much for a gsd! If he rolls in something, then a bath is in order, but really, he only needs a bath maybe once or twice a year. Keep him brushed and well groomed and there should not be an issue with smell. My pup is 14 months & has had 2 baths his whole life & my 6 yr old got his last bath in 2008 after being skunked. He got a mini bath once this year in about May. Neither one smells & their coats are just fine!

I only wash my dog about 2-3 x a year.
If she gets muddy I just rinse her throughly with a hose.
This dog should have an undercoat that protects their skin from dirt. So, the undercoat serves alot of purposes. keeping them clean, cool and protection from the sun , wind, snow and rain.
you have to watch not using harsh soaps also.
GSD's are known for their non doggie smell coat. If the coat smells then the diet may be wrong. They shed two times a year in spring and fall and don't require heavy bathing, it can dry out the skin and hair follicles.