Koda

how much rawhide is too much?

I just LOVE to chew on rawhide but my mom worries that I might be eating too much. Usually she will give me a bone and I'm allowed 3, 20 minute intervals with it a day. The same bone would last about a week. But, I learned how to devour a rawhide in about 20 minutes.

Asked by Koda on Jan 28th 2008 Tagged rawhide, chewing in Dental Care

Best Answer

DEMON

Hello,

I have a Husky and a Pitt Bull and according to my vet rawhide is no longer good for dogs. Their tummies can not digest it. They had recommended the bully sticks by merrick basically just like rawhide but fully digestible. Both of my dogs absolutely love them the sticks are about $1.50 ea. and they last about a week.

DEMON answered on Jan 30th.

Answers

Hi, sometimes Rawhide can be bad for tummies. Just monitor when you are eating one to make sure that they don't splinter and hurt your throat. Call your vet and ask them about How much is TOO much!

Pedro

I personally don't allow my dogs rawhide since there are so many chemicals in them.There are also ones that come from China and I certainly don't want my dogs eating those.When you buy them and they are not in packages.If youare still really into rawhide after posting this there are compressed rawhides that may work out better for your poochy.I always said if you think the bone is big enough go ahead and buy the next size up.Kong toys,soup bones from your local meat market are better then the rawhides.

Pedro answered on 1/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rawhide is safe as long as it is pressed rawhide.

Since Joey has a sensitive stomach, I cannot offer him any kind of easy-to-chew edible treat such as bully sticks or edible Nylabones. I give him pressed rawhide bones instead. When the rawhide is pressed tightly together, it cannot be taken off in chunks or shards like regular rawhide bones. It has to be chewed and chewed and chewed. They take a LOT of work for Joey to finish (he's a Shar Pei, Pittie mix). These are the type of rawhide bones he gets:

www.drsfostersmith.com

These are safe for him.
I think it is wrong for dog owners to assume that ALL rawhide is bad for ALL dogs. Every chew toy in the world poses some form of hazard. You just have to know your individual dog's needs. Some dogs don't know how to chew rawhide bones properly, so they end up with stomach problems and surgery. Some dogs on the other hand do know how to chew rawhide the right way and can do it safely.

I would be afraid that taking away the rawhide would start to cause a type of eating disorder b/c giving it and then taking it away encourages him to devour it before it's gone again. KWIM?