How much is a clicker and how much does it work?

Hey so I was think about getting a clicker for my Dog Kimmiee. I am not sure were to get one and if they really work. Kimmiee is easily scared such as when I clap. I an working on teaching her and I was wondering if a clicker would be a good idea.

Asked by Member 1116541 on Jul 22nd 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Clickers are cheap. It's just a plastic or metal button that goes "click", like the pop-up seal on a jam jar, after all. Some pet stores even give them away free with other purchases, and many training classes will give you one to use as well. Here is a fancy one, still pretty cheap.
www.amazon.com
But they're worthless without the skill to make use of them. I would check out some books or videos about clicker training (youtube has good ones) before you practice on your dog. Or try the training forums here on Dogster, most users are familiar with at least the basics of clicker training and can help answer specific questions. Good luck and happy training!

Bruno covered some basics. I will add that you could try using a pen as a clicker, or a pop-led from a baby food jar. The sound is not as loud or harsh as a real clicker. Some dogs respond better to them.
An excellent book for a beginner's look at clicker training is "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller. It explains the theory behind it, and gives you a step by step manual to train...from "charging the clicker" all the way through handling specific, more serious behaviours. Plus a whole slew of fun tricks to keep things fun.
Good luck.

In my experience my dogs learn faster with the clicker. Somehow it works better than using a verbal marker.

You have been given good advice, so that is all I have to add.