Close X

How much do I feed a senior Chihuahua?

I'm fostering one for my local shelter, just picked her up today, but they didn't say how much to feed her. She's 12 years old and on an excercise restriction. She just had surgery for Luxating Patellas, if the excercise restriction affects the amount. She's around 5-6lbs and on a mixture of wet & dry food.

Asked by Rascal on Aug 1st 2010 Tagged chihuahua, amount, food in Other Food & Nutrition

I really wouldn't know. Call the shelter and find out. All dogs are different, and due to her age and lack of excercise I really couldn't tell you. Sorry.

Belle answered on 8/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My poms are about that size. They eat 3/8 cup of food per day. You could use that as a starting point then adjust up or down depending on how she's doing.

MACH2, C-ATCH Bailey RN CGCA answered on 8/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer