Freya

how long does it usually take for a puppy's eyes to change color?

My Catahoula / Bordeaux puppy has the most stunning baby blue eyes. I am thinking her eyes may change to a light almond yellow color. But her eyes seem to be getting lighter and lighter blue. At what age do puppies eyes change to their permanent color?

Asked by Freya on Jan 31st 2012 Tagged eyes, color in Other Puppies

Answers

You should be able to tell from a very young age whether a pup's eyes will stay blue into adulthood- they are much brighter and bluer than normal puppy blue eyes, (which are destined to turn brown or amber, and have kind of a "hazy" grey-blue color.) By 6 weeks they should be less blue, more green, or flecked with yellow or brown, and will continue to darken for a few more weeks. I think by about 4 months the color is as dark as it will get.

All very young puppies have blue eyes, which is why I'm amused (and a little ticked-off) when I see puppy ads saying "gorgeous baby blue eyes!" or some such, in breeds that seldom have blue-eyed adults. It's obvious (to me) that those blue eyes won't last long.

My guess is your girl will have yellow/amber eyes, that's typical for red/liver dogs (which she is.)

Molly

My Molly's eyes were blue at the start, then changed to nice green and finally ended up as light brown (I guess it's called hazel?)I'd say when she was about 2-2,5 months.

Molly answered on 2/1/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My friend and I got catahoula/Pitt mix littermates. The mother was unhealthy and didn't make it after the pregnancy so I ended up bringing my boy home at 4 weeks and she brought hers hem at 5 weeks. My boy had the puppy blue eyes that all dogs have so I new they would change his brother had the ice blue eyes that are so common with catahoulas. Now at just over 3 months old my boy has one brown eye and one hazel eye. His brother has one solid blue eye and one eye that is half brown and half blue. I talked to the owner of the parents (a friend of mine) she has owned catahoulas her whole life and she told me that she has seen dogs that have eyes that continued to change well into adulthood.