General(not mine anymore)

How early should I start teaching General basic obedience?

She is a puppy and I want to get into obedience with her. When can I start? I also want to train her to do agility. When can I start that?

Asked by General(not mine anymore) on Sep 27th 2007 Tagged puppy, training in Agility & Sports

Answers

Jessie~ I'm sorry my love

puppy classes i say start anytime after 3 months and for agility dont start that untill thye are at least 1 year and a half old cause they are still growing otherwise.If thye jump and hurt themselves and they are still growing it puts horrible strain on there muscles

Jessie~ I'm sorry my love answered on 9/27/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Well I do train dogs and it is best to start about 6 mths old. That is the beat age.

we started w/ pepper from the day we brought her home. she was 10 weeks old at the time. by the time she started "puppy preschool" at petsmart (basic training, but classes are limited to dogs under 6mo) she could walk on a leash perfectly, and was starting to sit on comand.

my point is, you can start from the day you bring them home. as for agility I would wait until there joints are fully developed and closed (depends on breed); reaching adult size is not indicative of the joints being "mature".

Sheila, MAD, MR, MS, JCH-Br, S

You can even start with puppy agility very early on; however, don't let her jump higher than 1/2 of the competion hight, just get her used to the equipment. And don't train the weave polls until she is at least a year old!

You can start with Obedience from day one; the earlier the better.

Sheila, MAD, MR, MS, JCH-Br, S answered on 9/27/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Leon

I agree with everyone else. I went to puppy kindergarten at age 3 months. I learned how to sit and down and stay and I even learned a little trick for our graduation.
I had to wait to be a year old to do flyball for the same reason you need to wait to do agility...we're still growing!

Leon answered on 9/28/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥Meg♥

As she is a young dog, go to your local book store, or pet place and ask for a leaflet, or even book on basic ob training, as for agility, I started a lot later but once basic heal work and sit lie down are all trainind you should be able to start LIGHT excersices, no hard, get down on your knees stuff, make it fun, make her jump or logs and natural objects as well, which makes it slightly more fun!

♥Meg♥ answered on 9/28/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Annie

The earlier the better! Max learned at seven weeks to sit (on command or if he wanted to be pet), down, and come. Don't expect two mintue stays from a puppy, but getting them used to learning is half the battle. As others have said, be careful you don't stress her joints in agility training. Other than that, let your puppy tell you how fast she is ready to go in training.

Annie answered on 9/28/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Six months is NOT the ideal age to start obedience. That is actually a quite late.

Dogs have a very small window of socialization that starts when they are still with their mother and litter mates. Unfortunately, we kind of screw that up for them by taking them away too early.

To make up for that missed time, we need to train them from an early age, and in much the same way their mom and siblings would.

A dog is never too young for basic obedience, but make sure both YOUR dog and the dogs in the class you attend have had their shots. I'd look for a class that focuses on socialization. Ask your vet for a recommendation and make sure the class includes appropriate collars and leads for a puppy's small, fragile neck. Harnesses are best at this age.

So many issues can be avoided if you start socializing while they're younger, so don't wait!

The person who said 1.5 years for agility is 100% right.