How Do I Stop Brutus From Chewing On The Leash While Walking?

I have a 3 month old Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier who chews his leash when we walk. It used to be cute, but now it is just plain annoying! Any ideas?

Asked by Member 665220 on Jan 27th 2009 Tagged pulling, chewing, leash, walk in Leash Walking

Best Answer

Zackintosh CJ

Try buying one of those chain leads, I got mine from WalMart for less than $10.
Dogs don't like the taste of metal.
If he tries to bite the chain he will probably spit it out, after a while he should stop trying all together, then you can switch back to a regular lead. If he still tries to chew it, just say in a calm relaxed voice, "no" or "uh-uh" and take it out of his mouth.
Carry treats with you and reward him when he isn't chewing on it. Teach him "drop it" as well.
Whenever he chews the leash, take it out of his mouth, simultaneously saying "Drop it" and give him a treat. My dog used to have the same problem, I got him to stop by stopping whenever he started chewing on it, then telling him to drop it, and when he did we would continue walking. Soon he figured out that biting the leash makes the good stuff (Forward motion) go away. I do, however, let him use it as a tug toy when I tell him he can since he's going to be a future agility dog.

Zackintosh CJ answered on Jan 27th.

Answers

Charlie

Either get some Bitter Apple spray and spray it on the leash or you can try saying "no!" or "hey" or something else and stop walking until he stops chewing. He will get it eventually.

Charlie answered on 1/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer