Doc

How do I protect my ShihTzu's feet from the snow?

We will be in VT through December and I need to know how to prepare Doc for the inevitable snow. I hate the idea of having to give up our walks. Any advice?

Asked by Doc on Sep 21st 2009 Tagged snow in Other Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Mina

Booties would be my first suggestion, but some dogs just won't tolerate them.

My second suggestion would be "Musher's Secret". It's a balm used on sled-dog's feet to keep the snow from damaging them. All you have to do is rub the balm onto their pads. It creates a waxy protective layer. It even works in the summer for hot surfaces such as tar!

Mina answered on Sep 21st.

Answers

Most dogs hate to have booties on, it's just not dignified, so I suggest buying some Bag Balm. It's safe if the lick the paws, it protects from moisture, chapping. It soothes sore feet.
It's good for hot cracked pads too.

Daisy

Well as long as you keep the hair between the pads you should be fine but if you are still worried mushers secret www.petedge.com
is a great balm to put on the pads to protect from any harsh surfaces. And it does actually work. Or you could try booties. Thats what I use on my dogs in the winter. But they dont particularly like them. www.petedge.com
Here is some good boots to use.

Daisy answered on 9/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Booties are an excellent way to keep the dog's feet dry and warm. The problem with snow is that it's not only cold, the constant wetness can cause cracks and sores.

For some odd reason, most booties for dogs come in pairs (?!) so you might have to buy two pairs. But they're not horribly expensive and Doc will get used to them after a couple of times.

They also sell socks with non skid feet, but those will get soaked and filthy and not really insulate from the cold. Look for rubberized booties.

they have doggie boots available, yep, they hate them but you could try it.
Also, there is paw wax. You apply a thin layer and rub it into each pad. This works wonders also with out strapping on dog booties. Wax will keep the snow from sticking. I think I have four paws brand

I second Bag Balm

Bandit

We had a lhaso apso/shih tzu when I was young and he always wore booties on his paws. We would put them on his feet right before he steped outside. After a few times he was ok with them, its better then seing him try to walk with 5 inches of snow caked to his fur. I never tried that balm so maybe give that a try but the booties worked great for us and your dog will get used to them.

Bandit answered on 9/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer