how do I obtain a breeders licence

I live in South Carolina my I own a family of full bred american pit bulls, a cockapoo & a chuwawa. I would to know how I would obtain a dog breeders license

Asked by Member 605578 on Mar 10th 2008 in U.S. South

Answers

Don't worry about getting one until you have done as much research on your breed and breeding dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You must know about whelping, genetics (gets real complicated), and how to train, raise, and keep your dog healthy. You should study for at least 2 years!
And you should NOT breed your dog unless they fit the standard pretty well and they can do what they were bred for and do it WELL!!!!!!!!!
Here is a start for your studies:
www.dogster.com

www.chelsea
www.chelsea

BREEDING RESPONSIBLE IS NO EASY FEAT! THE ONLY RIGHT REASON TO BREED A DOG IS TO PRESERVE (KEEP HEALTHY) THE BREED AND GOOD BREEDERS NEVER BREED MORE THAN 2 BREEDS AT ONE TIME!

Cadillac CGC

I agree with the previous post. it's good you are interested in being licensed. but for now you need to be concentrated on learning about your breed. we are part of a kennel and do weight pull, temperament testing and conformation shows.

especially for pit bulls its important never to breed unless you are creating something special and have done your research. too many of us die every day because we werent cute anymore as adults or had health problems.

please visit www.stop-bsl.com and www.ukcpitbull.com two important places any dog/pit bull lover needs to go. and for your other dogs www.akc.org

if you need any more direction message me. breeding is serious business and no good breeder profits from it. instead you put in all you have and in return gain satisfaction at creating quality dogs.

Cadillac CGC answered on 3/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

~Sophie~

This is going to sound snotty...but I think a good rule of thumb is, if you cannot properly spell chihuahua, you should not be breeding them. Clearly you need to do much more research.

As for the pit bulls, go on petfinder and look around. You will find over 9000 homeless pit bulls already. If you truly love animals and this breed, do not add to the problem. If you would like another dog, please rescue one that has already been born to a family that had no idea what they were doing.

Over and over again, I see questions about breeding dogs. Why?? I do not understand. Go to a shelter or rescue and see all of those homeless, unwanted animals about to be put to sleep, and then see if you still think this is a good idea.

~Sophie~ answered on 3/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 8 Report this answer

I have to say that I agree with Sophie.

To breed dogs safely and responsibly, one must know a great deal about dogs. Knowledge about everything from dog anatomy to behavior is really important when breeding dogs.

If you truly want to breed dogs, then I would think you'd want to know how to do it as best you can, and with the best care for all the animals involved, especially seeing as how they have no choice over the situation.

There are probably far too many breeders in the world as it is, but if you absolutely must do this, then you should educate yourself to the point where you already know the answer to this question.

& I agree with Jack & Sophie & the rest!!!
Here is some light reading for you!
www.woodhavenlabs.com

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!!

I would put more training into your pitbulls before deciding that they are all just gonna be use to bring in a bunch of money.You should try to work with these dogs and let them show you how intelligent they are.It might schock you.
Hope you do the right thing.
9 MILLION PETS WERE PUT TO SLEEP IN 2007 DUE TO OVERPOPULATION,PLEASE DON'T ADD TO THE NUMBERS FOR 2008

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!! answered on 3/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Monroe (Buckshot)

Adding onto what Grey said- I think your dogs should be an EXCELLENT and OUTSTANDING representation of their breed,(not just pretty well) not only in health, but in temperment as well. Train your dogs and be sure they have all their health tests passed, you don't want to pass on any diseases or problems to the puppies. truely, why not have your dogs fixed.
We currently have too many dogs in our country. There is an overpopulation problem and you'd be suprised at the amount of pitbulls in the shelter.
Why make more? Have your dogs fixed, and instead create a ptibull rescue for your area. Take the dogs out of the shelter, have them fixed and nurse them back to health then adopt them out. You could be making money (which shouldn't be your motive, whether you are rescuing or breeding because you don't make much money in either) but doing something constructive and helpful.

Examine why you want to breed your dogs. If it's not to better the breed then don't do it.

Monroe (Buckshot) answered on 3/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

I am so glad to know that there are compassionate and smart people out there that truly care for the dogs. I had to laugh at the post about spelling chihuahua correctly...it is so true. Anyway, from a less opinionated side to a more educational note, breeding should be done to protect and perfect the breed, not to make money. It can be dangerous for the dogs if not done correctly. I can only imagine that if you are on a site like Dogster, than you have some sort of animal compassion. So, do your research on breeding. No reputable breeder will breed more than one breed. If you honestly care about your animals then get into rescue and not breeding. It is more rewarding and helps all the aspects of animal compassion. Don't breed or buy while millions of shelter animals die.

Bailey

I agree with what everyone else said, but I would also be VERY hesitant to breed pit bulls if you are not planning to keep all the puppies. there is no way to know for sure why someone is buying a puppy, and with the large number of people who want pit bulls for all the wrong reasons, I don't think I would ever sell a pit bull to anyone but a close friend.

Bailey answered on 3/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer