How do i know when to put my dog down??

I have a 12 year old German Shep. Her hips are getting horrible !! Hard for her to come upstairs to go out but she does do it and she is fine after.. she even runs around outside and everything...Bad thing, she sometimes just wants to go outside to eat the poop in the yard...She has always had a problem with eating poop. but now more often thats all she likes to do. Also, she is pooping all over at least 3 times a day and doesnt cry to go out..It is getting so bad, that is all i am doing is mopping all the time, paper towels etc...is it time to put her down?? what should i do, i am at my wits end with her doing this.. its not only gross to eat nothing but poop but to be pooping it back out all over my house. HELP QUICK !!!!

Asked by Member 795834 on Jan 23rd 2009 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Leon

This is probably one of the hardest questions to answer because it all depends.

My brother, Oso, was 14 when my mommie had to put him down...he wasn't eating and he gave her "the look" that it was time.

My brother, Diesel, was not even 2 and he had been diagnosed with bone cancer. The vet told Mommie and Papa to give him pain medicine until it wouldn't work anymore...he said they would know when it was time....They knew.

I would suggest visiting with your vet to see if they can prescribe any pain medications...if not, or if they won't do the trick...then it may be time. She seems to be telling you something, so listen to her and make an informed decision with your veterinarian.

Good Luck

Leon answered on 1/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Miss Buddie

Dogs eating poop is pretty normal actually. Disgusting, but normal. Keeping your yard cleaned up will keep that from happening.

As for her pain, there are lots of meds that a vet can give her to make her more comfortable.

I would talk to your vet about what to do. He or she will be able to give you more information as what her health situation is and the prognosis. If it's fixable, fix it. If not, then it might be time to make that incredibly hard decision. In the end, you have to look at their quality of life.

Miss Buddie answered on 1/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kleo CD, CDX, CGC, TDI

First I want to say how sorry I am for what you are going through. This entry caught my eye because we actually just had to have one of our beloved labradors put to sleep yesterday. I know how hard this decision is to make and how heartbreaking it can be to think of your life without your furry friend, but I have tried to make a rule about when to know I need to euthanize.

Here's my rule: Think of your dog's 3 favorite things in life. (these can be things like food, playing fetch, swimming, going for walks, ect.) Once you have decided on these 3 things that your dog loves, then if the day comes that she cannot enjoy these things then you know she is not truly enjoying her life. This rule has worked well for me but you have to use your head and your heart in this decision.

Obviously her hips are arthritic due to her age and the incontinence is from age as well. You also have to decide if you can deal with the accidents inside, as your dog obviously cannot control this.

Kleo CD, CDX, CGC, TDI answered on 1/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Talk to your vet. There may be pain medications the vet can prescribe to make her comfortable for a longer period of time. Also, there is a medication out there that you can get from the vet for dogs that eat poop. I don't ordinarily suggest it, as it can be trained out instead, but at your dog's age, it really isn't worth the time and agravation of trying to train it out of her, especially given that she's done it so long. I think you need a good hearty vet visit to talk about options. She sounds like she's still healthy enough for another few years, provided you help her with the pain by medicating, fix the poop eating issue, and perhaps make time to take her out more often. Many older dogs have trouble controlling their bladders and bowel movements, and it might be something you have to work around. Not worth putting her down for that. Either find a way to work around it or find her another home that can so she can continue living a happy life.