How do I know if my dog is in pain/ and/or dying?

14 year old lab - limited use of back legs/hind quarters; seems agitated; on medication for seizures; doesn't cry but takes "laborous" time to lay down.

Asked by Member 836090 on May 14th 2009 Tagged death in Health & Wellness

Answers

take her to the vet and talk to them about the dog. They are the ones who can help her. paws, dieta

I took my 14 1/2 yr. old to the vet after she had struggled to get up on her own for 2 days. I stayed home with her the next 3 days.
I had to help her up and then back in the house each time.
On that fifth day she layed down in the grass and layed her head down. I knew that she had been through enough. When my vet saw her that day she said, this is not our Gabbi is it? She felt that Gabbi had decided...
She only raised her head one more time(I had stepped out of her sight to sign the papers to relieve her pain). I returned my hands to her head and she layed it back down.
Definitely let your vet check her out. It is hard to seem them agitated because they can't do what they used to, or just don't feel well.

My German Shepherd/Heeler mix started having hind end issues as she aged. By about age 16, her legs would shake and she would take long amounts of time to lay down or get up. Your vet can be of great help in determining if there are things you can do to help your lab. Signs of pain are heavy panting, getting up and down because they can't get comfortable, and drinking excessive amounts of water. Please see your vet. My vet was able to give my dog great relief through VOM which in a vague way is doggie chiropractics. 14 is considered old for a large breed so your baby is well into the geriatric phase of her life.

A year ago, Aster was 14, and I was ready to put her to sleep. The vet suggested a different pain medicine, and she had a good summer but developed a huge, fast growing tumor by November.