How do I keep my dog quiet while in the kennel, especially at night?

I have a 8 month old Husky/Norwegian Elkhound mix. We put her in the kennel when we eat, go to bed and when we leave the house. She barks, whines and paws at the door. I try to ignore her so she stops, but it is too annoying that I find myself yelling at her and eventually I just let her out. She chews on everything so I don't like to leave her out when we are sleeping, but I have a 3 year old son so I don't want her to wake him at night. Please help me, I need to sleep!

Asked by Member 1001838 on Aug 25th 2010 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Saydi Sue.

We are soon Getting a Kennel for our 4 month old puppy. I hope this doesn't happen to us, or you anymore.
Try leaving a light on in the room .
With the light on so she can see you, lie down next to the door of the Kennel.

If you'd rather save money and sleep in your own bed, get your dog her favorite toy and put it inside the kennel.
I Suggest a Kong, it will keep her chewing and fall asleep. Just put treast inside and use the Paste and put cround it, it will keep her busy and she won't bark, after a while, she'll fall asleep.

Hope this helps !

Saydi Sue. answered on 8/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It sounds to me like she needs way, way more exercise! Is she getting out for long walks at least twice a day? Puppies, especially of this mix, need tons of exercise to keep them physically tired, and mentally stimulated. If she isn't tired and is bored, of course she is going to bark and whine to be let out. Yelling at her will only make it worse. If she is nice and tired when put in her crate then she will be relaxed and sleep.
Maybe getting her into a daycare several days a week would help burn off some of her extra energy? Or arrange play dates with a friend who also has a dog.
Raising a puppy is hard work and takes a tremendous amount of time and energy. It is much like having TWO three year olds! Good luck!

most puppies who are alone in the dark worry and bark. Try moving her inside and spending more time with her. Make sure you are reading lots of books on your breed and how to raise a puppy.
She is whining and pawing at door to be with you. You might be using the crate wrong or are you saying you lock her out of the bedroom?
Buy the Rubber Kong that is your life line, teach her to play with it.
If it gets worn down buy another and throw that one out.
Buy her a leash and walk her 15 min x 2 a day or play with her in the yard in several increments after work. Buy kongs, tennis balls, and a kiddie pool they love them.
You have to spend more quality time with her. You guys are her only family she has. Invest time

Sig

Yelling and letting her out is rewarding her for negative behavior. In your dog's mind she's thinking, "If i'm loud long enough I get attention(your yelling) and let out!" You have to just indure the noise or she'll just keep doing it. Try giving her a good walk or a game of fetch before bed. Leave a raw hid chew for her to occupy herself with. She might be so hyped up she cannot settle. If your dog is not being properly excersised this behavior will NEVER go away. Also try teaching her to get in her kennel on command. Give her lots of great treats when she goes in on her own. Feed her in her kennel and make her realise it's a great place to be! But if she's spending the majority of her day in there and not being excersised nothing is going to work. Your dog needs lots of walking. (Letting a dog roam around the yard doesn't help) Good luck!

Sig answered on 9/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer