Molly

How can you tell if a female dog has been spayed or not?

I got Molly about 6 weeks ago and she is supposed to be spayed. She hasnt gone into heat or anything but she has no scarring whatsoever so is there any way to tell without taking her to the vet?

Asked by Molly on Nov 6th 2008 Tagged spaying, heat in Spaying & Neutering

Best Answer

Where did you get Molly from?

If you got her from her former owner, ask the owner to provide you with vet records, as those will show if she was spayed and will also let you know if she is current on her shots. If you got her from a shelter, they should have had her spayed if she was not already, prior to adopting her.

Spay incision tattooing is becoming more common. That is when the dog is spayed, and is tattooed at the incision line to make a dog as spayed in an obvious manner, to prevent repeat unnecessary surgeries. This is very commonly done with feral cats on a TNR program, as well as some dogs. If your dog has a spay tattoo, it will be ON the site of the incision, not on the leg or in the ear. (Breeders use ear/leg tattoos to identify dogs, not mark them as spayed!)

In general, if there's no obvious scar and you cannot feel scar tissue, the only way to tell will be taking her to the vet.

Abby answered on Nov 6th.

Answers

Shandi *Oct 2006 - Aug 2012*

Most dogs have a tatoo in their ear, you can always check to see if Molly has one.

Shandi *Oct 2006 - Aug 2012* answered on 11/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sadie

Well Sadie was spayed Sept. 23 of this year and quite honestly I can barely see a faint scar. Quite possibly the scar has faded. I am not certain of this, but since my dog was spayed and the scar is barely visible maybe the scar has completely disapeared. I'm sure you could have the Vet tell you for certain or did you get her from a private owner or a shelter? I don't think that if it was from a shelter they would even let her go with out spaying her, but if it were just someone you got her from I guess you have to trust their word or validate it at your Vet. Good luck!

Sadie answered on 11/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If I remember correctly, the vet can always do an x-ray if there is no visible scar.

Buddy Boy

I think a lot of vets can tell just by looking at the tummy, scar or not. And feeling the belly. A dog usually goes in heat twice a year, so you probably wouldn't know for awhile if you waited for that to happen. Some dogs only go in heat once a year.

Buddy Boy answered on 11/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You can try taking her to a groomer and getting her tummy shaved, but be careful doing this its a very sensitive area, with all her hair gone it might be easier to see the scar. If you see nothing a vet will do a physical exam and an ultrasound to give you your answer. Congrats on your new baby, she is adorable.

Bella Donna

Most vets and spay clinics over the years have started tattooing dogs after a spay. Bella has an obvious scar because she had a difficult time healing but she also has a green stripe tattooed on the inside of her leg.

Ears and legs are the most obvious places for tattooing.

Did you adopt from a family or shelter? The should be able to provide proof or at least find the vet that spayed her. If they are unable to do this contact your local ASPCA they may do a quick exam for little or no cost to determine if she is spayed or not.

Bella Donna answered on 11/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Moira

Moira had no apparent scar even with the vet shaving her. So he scheduled a spay even though I felt she had been (I adopted her at 18 months from a shelter). When she was asleep and shaved more, he found a tiny scar in an odd place that may be a spay scar, so he did not do anything except the free nail job.

Moira had a lovely nap at the vet's, came home and so far no sign of going into heat. I have never had a female in heat, but I think I will know. If she ever comes in heat, we will reschedule the spay.

You and I may both have a while to wait as most heats are every six months. Has Molly had her vaccines? The vet can look at her when you get those updated.

Moira answered on 11/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Abbie

You can find a vet that does has laparoscopic equipment. With only a 5mm incision, they can see if she has been spayed. Unfortunately, you won't see a healthy uterus or ovaries on an xray.

Dr. Jaffe

Abbie answered on 11/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer