How can I stop my dog from shedding so much?

I have a 10 month old papillon. I used the furminator but it seems like she sheds more. Right now she is shedding like crazy. Can help me?...please

Asked by Member 867074 on Aug 13th 2009 Tagged papillon, puppy, excessiveshedding in Other Puppies

Answers

she may be shedding off a coat for her adult coat at this age.
So, I would groom her daily to help along the process. then hopefully after this coat she will be into her adult coat and won't shed again til Spring.
It says on breed they shed average, don't know how much that is. But, I suspect this is her final shed off from puppyhood.
It is also, becoming closer to fall and our dogs have started to shed off now.
After this coat you could try showstopper as a supplement, they say it helps.

Daisy

Yuu should only use a furminator on double coated dogs its not good for the papillon coat. My paps have never shedded that much even as puppies. Not sure what you are feeding but I know sometimes quality food helps with shedding so maybe thats why?

Daisy answered on 8/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Nibbles

I can relate...Nibbles sheds more then the average Cavalier. I comb him every morning and get a big comb full of hair. Daily combing, helps to keep the shedding down but does not completely eliminate it. I have even found clumps of dog hair on the carpet an hour after I've vacumed.

Nibbles answered on 8/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sassy

I have found a metal flea comb used after the coat is well combed out removes lots of old dead fur ready to come out that the regular comb and brush cannot remove. That is for the dog who's fur likes to come out on the furniture but not the brush. Why I don't know. I start at the lower leg and move up so I am combing through already flea combed fur.

My shedder hound gets warm rinses or baths and is combed or brushed dry. The water relaxes the follicle and the slight friction of the wet hair helps the old hair come out. There is a noticeable difference in her shedding for a week after a bath.

Food does help. My shedder hound sheds better now she gets plenty of fat including fish oil. All her fur IS going to come out but shed hair doesn't float around her like a cloud any more.

Sassy answered on 8/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer