How can I keep my dog from urinating on my bed?

I have a mother & daughter dog. The mother had 2 puppies & 1 was stillborn, so Lexi grew up with no siblings & the mother & hija always both slept on top of my bed. I put a tarp on top but most days I have to clean it up. I've never seen it happen, but I think it's Lexi because it never happened b4 she was born. She's a wonderful, kind, sweet, loving, & obedient dog otherwise. Any ideas?

Asked by Member 731276 on Sep 8th 2008 in House Soiling

Answers

Cocoa

Ya, There is this spray that you can spray and it makes them not want to go there. You can get this at Pets Mart.

Cocoa answered on 9/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Pixie

It sounds like a dominace issue. One or all are doing that to claim the bed. I had this problem with Pixie when she was a pup. She was a very dominating dog. She has to earn the right to sleep in my bed. Try putting them in their own bed on the floor. If that works for a few nights then move their bed to the foot of yours then if that works you might be able to let them sleep with you. Take control now.

Pixie answered on 9/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You didn't say what breed or size dog you have. If it's a small
type dog, do like I did and get those risers to raise the bed up higher off the floor and then she can't jump up into the bed. Worked for me and my dachshund.

1st figure what time she is put on the bed and make sure the bladder is empty,if it is the evening withhold h2o before bedtime,and no food either make sure she went out to pee ,and do not make play time on the bed, or ruff house.empty bladder makes a dry bed.esp. for those teeny weenie dogs
hope this can help a little.

LET THEM OUT FIRST THING IN MORNING AND LAST THING AT NIGHT.

ALSO, MIX EQUAL PARTS OF VINEGAR AND LEMON AND SPRAY ON BEDSPREAD, OR, USE LARGER AMOUNTS FOR WASHING IN WASHER, BUT, DO NOT PUT IN DRYER.

DOGS DO NOT LIKE THE SMELL OF VINEGAR.

THIS WORKED FOR OUR RESCUED BEAGLE!

GOOD LUCK AND BE PATIENT!!

Star Shea

Try no water after 7 PM....Plus lots of potty breaks outside. OR no more getting on the bed. My 4 dogs sleep in my bed, BUT I had to stop giving water after 7 PM . Their bladders can only hold so much. My female could sleep right through urinating. Since I stopped the water after 7 PM..no more accidents.

Star Shea answered on 9/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rio Dolce

How old and what kind of dog is it?
You shouldn't give puppies water or food past lets say 8pm or even 7pm. Before bed they should be taken out for their last walk of the night emptying everything out. Then hopefully the problem should go away. You shouldn't free feed your dog unless you are around to take it outside, specially if it's a puppy. If you are gone all day then just leave a little not a full bowl. Right when you get home you should take your dog out. Being consistent is key. Don't yell at them just clean it and take them outside. My mommy just told me it was okay and took me outside. No, dogs likes going inside, but sometimes we just can't wait. But yelling gets us nowhere.
The best dog book I read is called, The art of raising a puppy, and How to be your dogs best friend. From The Monks of New Skete, New York.
Good Luck.

Rio Dolce answered on 9/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Toby

When we don't put my dog in his crate...HE PEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry I do not no what the problem is or how to solve it.

Toby answered on 9/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kasey

I have no answer I have a rescued pom and she still goes in the house ,you can walk her forever and sometimes she will go outside and other times she will wait till she's back inside. I am at a loss with her

Kasey answered on 9/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hershey

Restrict her water after 6 PM and take her out just before bedtime. just like you do with kids. Maybe she has a urinary or bladder problem. Have you consulted her vet?

Hershey answered on 9/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Yeah.... OMG! We have had this problem with our dogs for over 13 years!! They always pick my husbands side of the bed, too. When we were just camping over Labor Day our Yorkie, who is only 15 months old, did it in our trailor bed. She was upset because we were cooking outside and left her inside. She is pee pee pad trained and outside trained and had never done this before!! Our Beagle, Hailey, who died last year at the age of 11, use to do it all the time. She did it when she was mad at us or when we were gone all day and she was alone. Again, always hubby's side of the bed. My husband is always their favorite person!! I am a SAHM and he is gone all day and they just love him. SO, I just learned that when I know they are going to be angry with us or upset because they are not getting the attention they want..... KENNEL THEM! Hope this helps!

RUBY BEGONIA ALEXANDER

hi. just some friendly, if not professional advice on your problem. you are making it VERY convenient for your doggie to pee on the bed, supplying a tarp. that is a no, no and no. i am also sure it is lexi. how old is she? this does make a difference. let me know, and re-training is not that hard.
peggy

RUBY BEGONIA ALEXANDER answered on 9/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Simon Barsinister   now deceas

I am not usre if this will work. But being a small dog why not get him a litter pan and train him to potty in that when he can not go out doors. The other anser is every time he /she whimpers make sure you listen and take him out. Around fifteen to twenty minutes after the dog has eaten take them either out or to the litter pan. Seeing how he is small and can not get up onto the bed with out help don't allow him up ther euntil after you see him void them bring him up on the bed. Has he been neuterd? if not thats the first thing you want to do because then he isn't urinating but marking his territory. Well thats my anser to the problem. Hope I have helped in some way.

Simon Barsinister now deceas answered on 9/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hearth

You said you've never seen her do it. Well I had a Rottweiler once that was actually peeing in her sleep. She would be sound asleep, and just start peeing. It took a long time before it finally happened right before our eyes. Before that, I thought she was doing it on purpose. And it was, of course, right on her own bed, which is why it was so confusing.
We took her to the vet, and he gave a medication which made it stop. I wish I could remember what it was. But it sure solved the problem. If you want, I can try to have the vet look it up. It was about 6 or 7 years ago.

Hearth answered on 9/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Monty

Pixie is right on. This is a dominance issue, marking of territory, females do it as well as males.

First and foremost, the bed is yours, you are the alpha....the bed should be 'invitation only'.

Loving and kind, sweet, and obedient are human terms, pack hierarchy are dog issues, and it's not uncommon for the 'child' to challenge the adult for dominance.

Set the standards, and define what the hierarchy in your pack is going to be. Allow one dog, which you will let be the dominant one, on the bed, and the other on the floor in a separate dog bed.

The wetting/marking should stop, and you will head off any 'fights' in the future, by establishing who is dominant.

On a quick note aside, puppies have a puppy license until about 5-6 months old...they can get away with alot, after the 'license' expires, then they will be nipped, growled at, or bit to be put in their place.

Monty answered on 9/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Calamity - Memorium 1995-2009

Two thngs. Have you tried crate training before allowing your dog on the bed. If it is a small enough crate, she won't want to mess while she sleeps. Then when she gets trained to not mess in the crate, the house, and your bed becomes an extension of the crate. The second suggestion is a dog diaper holder called Tinkle Trousers that you can order on the web at www.tinkletrousers.com One of my dogs is very old and incontinent, and I tried regular doggie diapers, which never fit right. Tinkle trouser uses baby diapers like Huggies, and fits from the front around the neck to the back. They stay on really good, and are much more comfortable for the dog then regular doggie diapers.

Calamity - Memorium 1995-2009 answered on 9/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

MAX!

For the most part - all of the answers seem straight-forward common sense. I had a little male chihuahua visiting my house over the weekend and I have 3 dogs. Well, this little dog took it upon himself to claim the entire house as his territory including the bed. It must be a territorial thing trying to be alpha, even amongst humans bc I later found out much to my dismay - he also does this at his house.

MAX! answered on 9/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Princess Sophie

I have two chihuahua's and my new baby who now is 6 months peepee'd on my bed a few times. I tried the wake up in the middle of the night deal and put him on the floor so he can use to peepee pad i put by the bed notta... It was hard to do but i put the crate next to my bed and had him lay in it for awhile so he got use to being by the bed. Then i woke up let him do his business and he slept with me and his sis... it worked!!! It was hard to have him not sleep with me for a week or so but he hasnt went peepee on the bed since.

Princess Sophie answered on 9/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lil Man

how old is your doggie? and what breed? just curious about the breed. is he just marking or is he really peeing?? If you are putting him in bed w/you at night, then you could try not giving any liquids a few hours before bedtime and make sure he goes out and does all his peeing before he goes nitey, nite. Hope this helps.
Have you considered him sleeping somewhere else??? I know that's hard as me and my bro sleep w/ mama & dad.

Lil Man answered on 9/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dexter

if you dog pees on your bed again, ignore her for 15-30 mins, while you cleaning up.
this has helped with my JRT puppy.
ignoring them, seems to be the worst punishment for them. so while you clean up, dont even look at her. dont be mad or kind or upset or forgiving. just totaly ignore her. before you know it she'll stop peeing (inside period) just to get you not to ignore her ever again.
i got this training tip from a dog training book.
it worked like a charm!!!
good luck

Dexter answered on 9/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I had this same problem. He would go out with another dog,come in hop on the bed and pee. He was going to puppy school at the time. I asked the trainer who said this was the sign of a sick puppy.
A vet visit confirmed a bladder infection. After treatment,no more bed peeing
I would consult a vet as soon as possible

Seba

Not trying to be harsh but the easiest way to stop it is not to let your dogs on your bed. By allowing your dogs into your sleeping area you are telling them that they are your equal and you are not their pack leader so give them their own bed or crate them at night in a crate big enough for them to stand up, turn around and lay down in. A crate is like their den and they will not soil it. My dogs love their crates and will just go in them any time during the day to sleep. They are never used in a negative way ever!!

Seba answered on 9/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Betsy

Don't first consider it a dominance or behavior problem. Many people have already suggested taking the dog out to pee right before bed and restrict night-time water. That is probably all there is to it. If it is the mother dog, possibly the prenancy changed something and needs to be checked out by the Vet.. Both doggies would benefit from going out before bed. I (Betsy) pee in my sleep when I don't go before bed. Sometimes when I am very sleepy, Mom makes me go out... and watches until I go. I do get stuborn sometimes!

Betsy answered on 9/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

starbucks

this is really hard to stop becuz that is how she was trained to go. she couldnt get off the bed easily so she went pee pee there.

we have this sad problem with puppy mills where the dogs are not let out of their crates. they learn to soil their bedding and then they keep doing it. the best answer for that is to get your puppies from great breeders, not pet shops or breeders who have several breeds or lots of dogs.

try to retrain: let your dog out after sleeping, eating, drinking, chewing, & playing hard. voice a command when it peepees outside [do peepee], & praise when they do it. every time they need to go voice the command & praise when they do it. there will be alot less urine in your bed, and hopefully the dog will learn. you might try another dog bed close to the outside door- be diligent!

check with vet to make sure there are no other problems. some puppy mill dogs are born with defects such as lack of kneecaps that make it hard for the dog to go down stairs.

starbucks answered on 9/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chloe

Have you taken her to the dr. My sister Chloe urinates in her sleep, she doesn't even know she's going. You should let a dr. check her out for UTi's and incontinence.

Chloe answered on 9/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Try removing all liquid at 6 pm and making sure he goes out before he goes to bed and the biggest thing is to make sure it is not a medical problem.
She could also be marking her territory and maybe a crate is in oder or have none of them sleep on YOUR territory.
In this respect you can certify your role as the pack leader.

My 10 yr old shepherd developed the same problem and it was related to having a weak sphinter muscle. The vet put her on PPA (phenylpropanolamine) and there have been no further problems. The PPA worked within a day or so. She still takes it daily. Or your dog may be having a problem because of a urinary infection-have you checked that out?

Stella

My boxer Stella dribbles on my bed when she is scared--thunderstorms, fireworks, etc. Since one can't always predict the weather, I lock her out of my bedroom when I go to work. If a storm is coming, I leave a radio on in a couple of rooms to help drown out the noise. It has worked so far. The frustrating thing is--it was always on MY side of the bed.

Stella answered on 9/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Minnie

DOES SHE HAVE A UTI?
DOES SHE HAVE BLADDER STONES?
DOES SHE HAVE KIDNEY STONES?
DOES SHE HAVE CANCER?
DOES SHE HAVE ANY IMMUNE PROBLEMS?
DOES SHE HAVE ANY OTHER TYPE OF DISEASE?
IS SHE SPAYED?

TAKE YOUR DOG TO THE VET!!!!! GEEZ

Minnie answered on 9/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have a small dog named Rocky and he is a very good dog when I first got him he was 4 months and we had that problem every night even with his poop sometimes but after awhile he stopped all by himself like within 1 month or so. Now he just barks if he needs to go and I open the door for him! I usually try to make him go before him and I sleep and then he's good till the morning!

Adam Lee

For a small dog sometimes getting off the bed is scary and then they're afraid they can't get back up on the bed. My husband built a ramp with a platform at the end that allowed my chihuahua to go up the ramp stop on the platform and walk directly onto the bed. We put the ramp at the foot of the bed and then he was able to get on the bed and off the bed without having to be scared. He was a much happier guy and I was happier too.

Adam Lee answered on 9/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Twinkle

Twinkle used to pee on our bed but we were able to somehow train her not to by letting her pee before bed time outside of the house.

She somehow got used to it and in fact, even during midnight, when nature calls, she wakes us up by barking or use her hand to wake us up.

If still your dog pees, a sprayer, particularly lysol or any aerosol would help.

Twinkle answered on 9/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Do to being put on bed before being potty trained, this is the correct space for her as she knows it. I would flip my mattress and take her water and food away around six oclock she will live till morning without water and food. It may not work just turning your mattress for she is still a pup but she will pick it up when she gets older. I had the same problem, otherwise you need to let your baby sleep in a pin of some sort with out water and food.
I never did understand why when they sell the crates they put a water and food dish in the crate and really think the pup can eat and drink and not need to go, they're bladders are so small and they get use to going on towels blankets or what ever bedding is used in the crate. Good Luck

duke

One night my dog peed on my head(first night in the bed) so what i did was put a cage outside after he peed and made him stay in there. He didnt pee again on the bed!!!

duke answered on 9/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Trudy

This sounds like the dog is sending a message. Trudy used to do this when she was highly unpleased with a situation. Once the issue Trudy was dealing with was resolved. No more urination in the bed.

Letting the dog out more frequently still isn't going to solve the problem as dogs can somehow even get a few drops out after spending hours outdoors.

You could well be having a domination issue. The pup is attempting to dominate you as she is an alpha bitch. She is alpha and is trying to make you and or possibly her mother the beta or omega. In this instance you need to make both the mother and daughter know YOU are the alpha in the house.

This isn't accomplished by striking the dog, yelling or other angry behavior on your part. You must make the two dogs respect you be giving firm commands and even tempermant. Once both of the dogs know YOU are in charge, the wetting of YOUR bed should probibly end.

Also, some breeds like Terriers are especially strong willed.

Trudy answered on 9/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Memphis

If you are not actually seeing your dog peeing it could be urinary incontinence. My dog had a leaky bladder problem beginning when she was about 1 year old. It became progressively worse. One day she was sleeping on a concrete patio and she voided in her sleep. Phenylpropanolamine sold under name of PROIN and requires a vet perscription. A holistic vet also suggested I massage her bladder area to make her contract and strengthen the muscles. The med was a godsend.

Memphis answered on 9/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Gizmo

Maybe you should not not allow your dogs to sleep with you. Therefore, if they are not on the bed, they cannot pee on the bed. Also, when you are not in your room or at home, close the door to your bedroom. My Boxer would pee on our bed when we left her at home along to show she was mad at us (separation anxiety). When she was much younger, she did it right in front of us to show she "owned" the bed and so we should not dare attempt to keep her off. Our trainers who train dogs for the police and the military as well as for regular pet owners, and the Dog Whisperer all say to not allow dogs to get on your bed let alone sleep with you. You need to show your dominance. Also, talk about your romance disappearing when there is a big Boxer laying between you, and a Boston Terrier curled up between your legs.

Gizmo answered on 9/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tipper Sitko

Many things. Take water away from dog/puppy 2 hours before bed time. Put newspaper down right below the bed. Take the dog/puppy out right before you go to bed, and take it out again as soon as you wake up. When the dog goes on the paper, be sure to say "good dog," many times!!! This works for my dog.

Tipper Sitko answered on 9/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chewy

I'm glad you posted this question because we have some of the same issues with our dog Chewy. he is about 4 months old now and a pit. He's a well trained dog and for the most part does his business outside but every now and then he will pee in his bed inside his crate. It's really weird - but after reading some of the answers on here it could be that he is mad at us and does it to get attention. We use to yell at him before but quickly learned that doesn't work - now we just clean it up and ignore it and not make a big deal out of it because ultimately its the attention he wants. We also take him out every chance we get but I think we need to really stop giving him water past 7pm. I didnt know if that would be considered mean to take water away from them but it will help reduce accidents. I would recommend crate training her for a few nights and see what happens.

Chewy answered on 9/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sammy

This is typically an insecure dog's way of marking only what she is willing to protect. It usually isn't a potty training issue once the dog is over 7 months of age, but you need to give more info; how old are both of your dogs? What breed are they? Do you walk them often? Why do you let them sleep in the bed when they are marking all over it? Please give a little more info and I might be able to give you a little more help.

Sammy answered on 9/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dexter

We had this problem with Dexter, our Lab. We tried EVERYTHING under the sun to no avail. Then I discovered that he had emotional issues (came from a farm that had LOTS of animals). If we don't pay enough attention to him, he potties on the bed.

You also must consider whether she has problems, like an infection or blockage, with any part of her urinary tract-this is more common in dogs than most people think. If her sibling was stillborn, there may be issues with Lexi that you don't yet know about. I'd take her to the vet for a thorough exam. Expensive, I know, but if you are like me, she is like one of your kids and worth the expense!

Dexter answered on 9/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tupe

We make sure that our dog, Tupe, pees first before he goes to sleep in our bed. Like other advices given, no water after 8pm. And he wakes us up at 4am so he can pee again. When he hears the word "Labas?", up he goes and runs to the door, which means he has to pee. But the whole night, he sleeps like a baby, no trips needed for him to pee. Good luck!

Tupe answered on 9/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Winston

Before you go to bed take both of your dog's outside to do their buisness or you could take them for a walk in the nieghborhood.

Winston answered on 9/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Teekah

Sometimes it's a hormonal problem. Check with your vet. I have that problem and now my mom gives me a pill every day to keep it from happening.

Teekah answered on 9/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

take dog out every two hours or after it eats or plays or when it wakes up........or put in a pen for now, how old is puppy?

*R.I.P* Arnie- Our guardian

when they pee, of course you scold them, but make sure you scold them good. be mad at them for atleast an hour. when you cleen up the pee, poor vinagar all over the spot so they loose the smell and they forget that they ever peed their.

good look!
hugs from arnie.

*R.I.P* Arnie- Our guardian answered on 9/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Roxie Stafford

My dog had the same problem she would pee on the bed.. what i did was use a doggie diapper. which you can get a pet stores.
it help keep her dry and the bed dry too..
also you may want to find out if she has infection by having the vet do a uti on her. sometimes that makes them go more...

as my dog got older and more mature she stop doing it... also you may want to get a crate for your dog and let her sleep in that for awhile.... do not lock her in it all night though..

Roxie Stafford answered on 10/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hazel

ur dog might need to stay in one room, or a room u can manage to clean u can try puting pee pads down or take them on walks before u go to bed. good luck!

Hazel answered on 7/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Joey

ok, first of all, why are letting your puppy sleep on your bed? puppies are supposed to sleep in crates when they're puppies. if you let your puppies sleep on your bed this young, they will get dominant and maybe aggressive of your bed. and also, while they are puppies, you must wake up two or three times to let them out in the middle of the night because puppies can't hold a whole night.

Joey answered on 8/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Miss Alabama, CGC -

The simplest answer is to CLOSE your bedroom door when you're not home. This issue is NOT about "dominance." Rather, it is typically about anxiety (possibly over your being gone). It could also be b/c she's not completely house-trained. But if you close the door to prevent access to your room when you're not there to supervise, that's the first step to solving the behavior. (it doesn't mean she can't sleep on your bed - that's a matter of personal preference. The problem is when you're absent). Make sure you take her out to empty her bladder JUST before you leave. Whatever room you leave her in, leave a piece of clothing you've worn & not washed in her resting area, so she has your scent nearby. Most dogs pick the bed to urinate on because it smells so strongly of you. Also, it's comfy. ;)
This is an old question, so I hope you've solved the issue for your girl, & that other people read it so they can learn too.

Leigh Sansone CPDT-KA
www.RuffCustomers.com
Ruff Customers Dog Training

Miss Alabama, CGC - "Allie" answered on 2/14/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer