Peanut

How can i house break my chihuahua??? I need help now!

I need help now before my husband makes me sell my chi! I love him sooo much but he will not quit using the bathroom in our house!! my husband doesnt like him and its getting to the point it is causing problems....i need him house broken! help me someone

Asked by Peanut on Jun 2nd 2009 in Behavior & Training

Answers

First, get a crate. If you are not there and cannot watch him 100%, he goes in the crate.
Second, you get an umbilical cord. When you are there, he gets hooked onto your belt loop by a leash. This way, he never has the chance to sneak off and go potty.
Third, regular bathroom breaks. Start at every 30 min or 1 hr (depending on if he's an adult or pup). When he potties outside, have the biggest potty party ever. Give him lots of treats and celebrate with him.
Fourth, make sure you clean up any accidents, and any previous accident sites with a specialized cleaner for pet stains.
Fifth, hubby has to do his part too. If hubby can't watch him, then he goes in the crate or on the belt loop. If hubby isn't willing to keep up the responsibility, then Peanuts failure will be just as much his fault.
Sixth, realize that little dogs often take longer than big dogs to housetrain because it is easy to overlook their accidents and because their bladder is smaller.
Seventh, never punish!

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 6/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have posted the procedures that have worked well for us with many puppies at www.dogster.com If your puppy is a little older, it will be able to go longer after eating and drinking before it needs to go out than a young puppy. Watch the puppy, not the clock. Taking it out when it doesn't need to go may only confuse it. also, when you have it out, make it walk around to stimulate elimination.