How can I get my Pug Puppy to stop screaming in the kennel at night?

Whenever I put my Pug Puppy in his kennel at night he goes to the bathroom in it at about 3am and then screams the rest of the night. The kennel is not to big for him. It has been over a month and I dont no what to do I have tired feeding him earlier which makes no differnce. I have tried leaving him in a room with his doggy bed and a training pad and then he does leave his bed to go the bathroom on the pad but starts screaming still. We have ignored him the problem is he does not stop he will scream for over 4 hours. My family is at their witts end with getting no sleep and want to send him back. Is there anything I can do??

Asked by Member 550785 on Dec 27th 2007 in Crate Training

Answers

Cindy Lou Who

Like a newborn baby, a puppy is a lot of work. I'm not sure how old the pup is but I'm assuming less than 5 months. Your dog's bladder isn't strong enough for him to hold all night so his only option is to urinate in his crate. You must build him up to the point of where he is competant enough to hold it all night. Try getting up at 2am and bringing him outside to do his business. Then again at 6am. After about a week or two, start getting up later and later - eventually, he'll go the whole night without going in his crate.

Cindy Lou Who answered on 12/27/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Jake

There is a simple answer to this, and it has worked with many dogs before.

Hit the kennel.

Our shelter dog barked all night long in his kennel, even if there was someone right next to him. We finally acted on someone's advice and hit the kennel. He never barked again.

Jake answered on 12/27/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bella

Cindy Lou Who (love the name) is absolutely right. Puppies have small bladders and small puppies have smaller bladders. I fostered a 3 1/2 month boston terrier who was a doll. But she needed extra attention. Like my Bullmastiff when she was a puppy, I had to let the puppy out of the crate every few hours to pee and poop. She would bark when I put her back in the crate and went upstairs. Someone told me to try hiting the crate but that only made it worse and her more scared. I brought the crate in the bedroom so she could hear and smell me and we had no more problems with noise. HOWEVER, it is still your responsibility to take your puppy out ever 3-4 hours to go to the bathroom. Like a human child, it takes time for a bladder to develop and muscles to learn how to hold it. As an adult they can hold it for 6-8 hours depending on the dog. When you take your puppy to training class, they can start after 3 mon. your trainer will get to know your dog and offer advice. Good luck

Bella answered on 12/27/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Cindy Lou Who and Bella gave you very good advice, and I wholeheartedly agree with what they wrote.

You don't say how old your puppy is? The rule of thumb with pups is that you take their age in months and that is how long you can expect puppy to hold his pee in hours. So a three months old puppy should not be expected to hold it for more than three hours at a time.

Most puppies, especially young puppies, cannot hold their pee the entire night, even if they are kenneled. You're going to have to adjust your schedule in order to "fix" this problem. Your pup will need to go out in the middle of the night, at least once - if not twice. As your pup goes around 3am, set your alarm for just before that, take him outside, and then place him back in the kennel.

NEVER hit the crate to get a puppy to stop screaming. All that does is scare the puppy and hurt your bond with your dog. There are better methods than intimidation in training.

Dude

Have you tried putting something with your smell in the crate with the pup? I would try that.

Dude answered on 12/28/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I had that problem with crispin for 1.5 years what my mommy did was have the crate in the living room with her while she sewed or watched tv , in the kitchen when she cooked and at an angle i could see her at night soon enough i got used to being in the crate and she would SlOWLY GIVE ME TIME OUT OF IT.