Savannah

Herniated disc in neck. Will Meds and Strictcage rest work? 10 year old cockerspaniel.

This started on Tuesday, she was in tremendous pain and even had trouble walking. Brought her directly to the vet where they prescribed prednisone,gababpentin and tramadol. She took her first dose tuesday evening and pretty much slept all night. She woke up wednesdy morning looked and seemed much better, walking fine, eating, drinking and pooping than she started crying out late morning. I brought her back to the vet and they said get an MRI and surgery. I did not think she had enough time on meds (not even 24 hrs) to make that decision. I took her home and bought a cage where I kept her pretty much all day thursday and she seemed so much better again. Today she yelped once this morning when we woke up but was walking fine better than thursday so I let her sleep around the house today when I was home always in my site,I think she did to much today she yelped big time tonight and was in pain so I put her back in her crate and she seemd ok.This setback scared me, what do I do??? Time?

Asked by Savannah on Nov 30th 2012 Tagged herniateddiscinneck in Health & Wellness

Answers

Poor dog! Must be going through a lot. I hope things get better soon. You are doing a great job :)

I don't know if your vet explained this to you or not, BUT, a dog suffering from a disc problem needs a minimum of two weeks of STRICT cage rest for those meds to work!!! This means she eats, sleeps and LIVES in the cage, 24/7.
Any walking around can lead to PERMANENT PARALYSIS!!!! I have had dogs suffer from disc issues and they are even carried outside and kept in one place, ON A LEASH, while they do their business, then put right back into the crate/cage.
It may seem hard on her and you at the time, but a future life of being permanently paralyzed is MUCH harder to live with!!!!
It takes TIME for the steroids to reduce the swelling in the disc, and until this happens, any movement can pinch her spinal nerve and that becomes extremely serious!!!!
Please, put her back in her cage for the minimum two week period!!!!