Help! A commercial flea treatment has not worked for my dogs at all...and both the vet and manufacturer are in denial!

We've used Frontline for several years. Last year, 2011, it simply did not work...at all. I wrote the vet and the manufacturer; they insisted that there was no problem with Frontline, refused to honor the product's promises and the vet finally told me to "go to a different vet." We've spent several hundred dollars on the vet and on Frontline. We have a small piece of property in the the city and this is ridiculous!

Asked by Member 1134916 on Oct 9th 2012 Tagged fleas, frontline, vet, veterinarian, fleatreatment in Flea & Tick Prevention

Answers

Colt

Until you find a product that works on your pet bath him/her with dawn dish soap if they have fleas currently then treat your house with vacuuming and spraying with products from your local pet store to kill fleas. Then try different products sometimes frontline doesn't work on "all" pets just like not all shampoos works on all humane hair or lotion with skin. I was a vet nurse at banfield and I have had the same thing with my pet. Also try trifexis it covers heart worm protection hook worms and whip worms and fleas all in one chewable pill. Or frontline could not be working because your not doing it right your vet should have told you not to bath your pet 24 hours before application or 72 hours after application.

Colt answered on 10/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Ren II

I noticed the same problem in my area. I used frontline for many years on all of my pets. It worked perfectly, then one year, it didn't work at all. I thought that maybe i had just gotten a bad box or something and tried it again the next year. Nothing. I asked a ton of people and they were all saying the same thing. Contacted frontline and they were unwilling to discuss it. They said i must have used it wrong.(i worked as a vet assistant for 5 years.) I asked a few vets and they said what i was thinking. The fleas are immune to the chemical in frontline now. The same thing has happened in horse dewormers. We used them so often for so long that the worms are resistant to the old dewormers. There is a feed through flea preventative that uses a different chemical. You can also use food grade dietamaceous earth. Safe for humans and animals but not for bugs. Any dish soap or shampoo that foams will kill fleas, start at the head and work your way back.

Ren II answered on 10/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I know dogs can build up a tolerance to flea meds; especially when you have used the same brand for years. I suggest trying a natural or organic medicine. A non monthly applicator flea, tick, mosquito medicine that works is PETfection Bug Spray. It is 100% Organic and Non Toxic. It doesn't contain any chemicals and works great at keeping the bugs away and healing any previous bites he/she may already have. It smells good too! I love it. Hope this helps and will find your dogs some relief!!