Having issues with housebreaking my 4 month old Aussie!

This is my first puppy and I can't seem to get him housebroken. We have been working with him since we got him almost 3 months ago. He will go outside but will then come inside and go again. I am trying crate training but am not sure I am doing it right. His sister from the same litter was housebroken the first week so this is very frustrating! I would have thought how smart they are he would have caught on by now. I just don't understand why he keeps going in the house. He always gets a treat when he goes outside so he knows it means good. Any advice? Thank you so much.

Asked by Member 1124767 on Aug 8th 2012 in Housebreaking

Answers

Raven

he may be marking, esp if he goes right after you bring him in.

Raven answered on 8/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Huli

If he's not neutered, you may want to consider that. Also make sure you clean the area he marks VERY well. If that doesn't work, and it's always the same spot, block that spot. Put a table there or something to that effect. Some dogs also urinate more than once, Huli marks in several spots because she is intact. Walk them! Trust me it makes a huge difference, even if you have a huge yard Walk the dogs let them pee in more than a yard.

Huli answered on 8/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lady

Without really getting angry/physical, or rubbing his nose in it after the fact, you have to catch them MID-ACT inside and make sure they know its NOT okay. This doesnt mean hitting them or anything, I just pick my puppy up by the scruff, yell no, and bring her outside. And clean the area REALLY well with a special enzyme cleaner so the smell is completely gone.

Lady answered on 8/10/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer