golden doodle hair cuts

i want to get my g doodle hair trimmed but do NOT want her to end up looking like a poodle and DONT want the super short or shaved look. any suggestions? pictures for ideas?

Asked by Member 828376 on Apr 20th 2009 Tagged ideasforcuttingmygoldendoodleshair in Professional Grooming

Answers

Hi - Make sure you tell the groomer that you want a scissor cut for your big kid.
Make sure you stress the fact that you do NOT want any shaving at all - they can go very short in the groin, arm pits, and Potty path only.
It does cost a little more for a scissor cut..

Also, make sure you baby is taking a good vitamin and oils....

see here : golden expert:

en.allexperts.com

I suppose my first question would be why you want to get her trimmed? Is it just to make her look better? Do you dislike the curly coat? Do you want her to look different?

It's obviously not for conformation where she'd have to be trimmed (if she were a purebred poodle, anyway) and I can't imagine that you'd consider it for making dealing with the hair easier, since Doodles are supposedly non-shedding and easy to groom. So, why?

In general, it's best to leave a dog's natural coat alone, as it protects the dog from the weather, both cold AND heat. (Dogs don't sweat through their skin like people do, after all.) Frequent brushing to keep the coat free of dirt and tangles are really all that is needed.

Hello-

I am a groomer and my advice is to make sure you don't tell your groomer you want a Puppy cut. Many groomers will just shave her down to look like a lab. UGH!! Your best advice is similar to Miss Priss. If you can don't trim your dog, BRUSH them. Now being a groomer and knowing what Doodles fur can be like, this may not be an easy task. They don't shed, but boy do they matt. Those matts can be very painful to the dog, especially if you wait too long to get her groomed. If you want a smart haircut on the dog I would tell the groomer you only want about 1/2 inch taken off all over. They will probably use an E or C clippercomb on your doodle and it will look very cute and be easy to manage on your end. Tell them you want a cute round or teddy bear face. Big key is if she is not matted already they can easily do this haircut but you must brush your doodle everyday with a slicker brush to maintain that coat. Hope this helps you.

Bella

i suggest a 5/8ths teddy clip im a groomer and have done many golden doodles and find that my customers love it many owners of golden doodles hate them to look like poodles and i find this a teddy is perfect for brakeing away from the classic poodle look

Bella answered on 4/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have a similar questions. My goldendoodle is 9 months and over the past 2 weeks got very matted. But I do NOT want her Shaved to the skin or looking like a poodle, Especially her paws - I DON'T want them beveled and looking like a bird. She looks like a teddy bear and I want to keep that. BUT...all groomers want to do is Shave them. My groomer shaved her under her chin and it's thick and got matted within the first day. I feel once they cut or shave her, her coat will never come back the same - actually will become even more difficult than her long coat. My breeder recommended mane n tail detangler which works great but my dog doesn't stay still long enough. Can you provide pictures of a Scissor Cut that you're recommending.