Blue

Going crazy trying to figure out what is wrong with my dog

Hi...I'm new here and just learning how to navigate this site. In fact, I've written this pretty lengthy post several times, only to have it not post. For some reason or another.

Anyway, I have a 4yr old Blue Merle Great Dane. He has not been doing well for over 5 weeks. I will start at the beginning.

He had a restless night where he kept coming to me as if he was trying to tell me something. Panting, pacing, and acting like he needed something, even though he was fed and walked and had water. The next morning he appeared to be feeling better. I took him out to potty in my front yard where the lawn mower service had just shortly before that came through and cut the grass. He sniffed the grass and started to have a fit of reverse sneezing, his nose running watery discharge like a faucet. I stroked his throat and it eventually slowed down...and then stopped. I will continue on next post....

Asked by Blue on Sep 7th 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Blue merles, I have recently learned, come with a slew of health problems, because the color is rare and can be perpetuated by inbreeding. Keep him hydrated, raise his dishes to avoid stomach turning, use a portion pacer bowl to prevent bloat, feed a healthy large breed food like Nutro lb lamb and rice formula, and go to see your vet!! Big dogs do not have long life spans and need routine professional care! ^_^