Saint Raphael

Feed once a day?

Is it okay to feed dogs only once a day?

My parents feed their Siberian Huskies once a day in the early afternoon and they look great. I just recently rescued Saint, a six month old Pit Bull/American Bulldog mix. I feed him twice a day right now because I know puppies need to eat twice a day. But when he gets older would it be okay to feed him only once a day? If so, at what age could this begin? I've heard from 8 months to a year.

I'm feeding Solid Gold, which through my research seems to be a high quality food.

Comments? Suggestions?

Asked by Saint Raphael on May 20th 2008 in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Gio

Yes, it is totally fine to feed once a day. Many dogs actually prefer it. If you look at the digestive physiology of dogs, they are designed to eat large amounts, then fast for a while. With commercial diets, you don't want to drag out the fasting for too long, so once a day feeding is just fine.

I'm not sure if there is an ideal time to switch to once a day feeding. But I would imagine that once the pup reaches their mature size then you would be fine to switch. Pups need to eat more food more often because they need the extra resources to grow. But once the main growth period is over, you are just feeding for maintanance.

Depending how large your dog is, it will likely finish growing around 1 year of age. Smaller dogs may finish growing around 8 months, larger dogs around 18 months. So for a Pit/Bulldog cross, about 1 year is probably reasonable.

Gio answered on May 20th.

Answers

3 Chicks

Healthy adult dogs can eat once a day no problems. Just find the right amount and type of food that will keep your dog satisfied during the day.
Sick dogs, seniors, puppies and pregnant dogs have different diets and your Vet can prescribe a diet for each specific need.
Otherwise, once a day is OK as long as a bowl of fresh water is always available.

3 Chicks answered on 5/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I feed mine once a day, so...
Some people say that it's better to feed twice a day, but I think it also depends upon personal preference and what kind of health the dog is in.
I'd take Gio's advice. Gio is soooooo knowledgeable.

Rusty

Yes! It is totally ok to feed your dog just once a day. Really, if you'd like, you can try it out both ways - once or twice daily - and see which routine seems to best fit your dog. I've noticed with Rusty that even though I feed him twice a day, most of the time he doesn't eat his morning serving until late as if he would actually prefer to eat just once a day. (Either that or he's hoping to get scraps from daddy!)

Rusty answered on 5/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥Tiffy♥

There isn't a "rule" that says how often you should feed your dog. It's really what is best for you, your dog, and your circumstances. My Tiffy is perfectly healthy and she gets fed once a day in the morning. And then she gets a snack. She gets treats throughout the day (when I am home) for her good deeds!

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 5/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I've read that if you're feeding your dog high quality food you can feed him less but I've never read that you should feed him less than twice a day.

I found more info here: dogtime.com

Fun On The Run Kennel Racing

IMO it is totally fine to feed once a day! I kow sled dogs that only get fed once a day and they are quite competitive. I feed my dogs once a day during the summer and at other times of the year I feed twice a day. My dogs also get raw snacks and treats throughout the day to keep them occupied.

Fun On The Run Kennel Racing answered on 5/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer