Isabella

Doggy Birthday party?

It's Bella's birthday on the 8th of October, and I am making her some gifts, as well as taking her to the Family Fur and Fun event for our SPCA where we adopted her from. Anyone have any ideas? Anyone think this is overboard for a dog? I already purchased some gourmet dog cookies for her and the other dogs. Are there any recipes for cakes that are safe for dogs, and not overly fattening or unhealthy that are also yummy for humans to eat? With no meat, please. I also plan on making her a hoodie, a bed, some toys, and some other goodies. Anyone have more suggestions for her birthday?

Asked by Isabella "Bella" on Sep 25th 2011 Tagged birthday, dog, party, bella, pug, dachshund, black, party in News & Events

Answers

If she is good with other animals and people, then it'll be fine to take her to the event. When it's my dog's birthday's, I'll usually just bake them some treats. My group "Trading Dog Goodies" has a TON of recipes in the group threads. I'll invite you to the group because there's too many recipes to list, hundreds of them.

Here are some cake recipes -

(Sparky's recipe)

Banana Carob Chip Dog Birthday Cake

1 3/4 cups water
2 ripe bananas
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 Tbs baking powder
1 egg
2 Tbs honey
1/2 cup carob chips

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
In a large bowl, combine water, bananas, vanilla, egg and honey. Add flour and baking powder. Mix thoroughly. Pour mixture into an 8-inch cake pan sprayed with a nonstick spray. Sprinkle carob chips on top. Bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted (into the center) comes out clean. Cool before adding frosting.

Carob chip Frosting:

Combine the following ingredients and blend thoroughly:
12 ounces lowfat cream cheese (room temperature)
1/2 cup melted carob chips
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon honey

Mix well and spread generously ontop of cake.

(Casey, CGC, TD's Recipe)

Peanut Butter Carrot Cake

Mix 1 cup whole wheat Flour and 1 teaspoon Baking Soda.
Mix in 1/4 cup Peanut Butter, 1/4 cup cooking Oil, 1 cup shredded Carrots, 1 teaspoon Vanilla, 1/3 cup Honey and 1 Egg.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes in a greased pan.

You can make the cake any size and shape you want. I used a pan shaped like a dog bone. The cake I made this year had 2 layers ... one recipe for each layer.

This is peanut butter icing. For each 8 oz low fat cream cheese, I used about 1/2 cup peanut butter and a couple of tablespoons of honey.