Dog stopped listening while outside.

I have a year old standard schnauzer, he listens most of the time inside, but as soon as I take him out, he just ignores me and every time I try to grab him, he runs around or dodges me.

Just 1-2 month ago, when I say let's go, he would come, but now he doesn't. He seem to treat everything like a game and doesn't even respond to luring him with treats or walking the opposite direction. Last couple times, I had to get another dog owner to grab my dog.

What the heck is happening and how do I fix this???

On a side note, I could take him hiking off leash and he comes and follows me just fine.

Asked by Member 1093880 on Feb 13th 2013 in Commands

Answers

Put him back on leash if he is not listening to you outside.

He's a teenager. Amp up your daily training. Be consistent & positive. Work on all the things he has already learned & appears to have "forgotten." He is testing his limits...& yours. Guide him through this stage & you will have a great companion.
A long line can be used to work on recall. Never chase him down, never be harsh when he finally comes. Coming to you when asked should ALWAYS be the best thing in the world.
Have him recall, then immediately release to resume play. You don't want him to associate coming to you with fun ending.
Be patient...this will pass.