Does neutering a male dog stop the frequent marking?

I just adopted a 2 year old male German Shepherd from a friend who couldn't keep him in the new place he moved to. The dog is very well trained. I have a female, fixed. I want to let him in the house like I do with her, but he started peeing, (marking), so he's out in the car port area. He just arrived one day ago. Does anything I mention have something to do with it? If I neuter him, will it stop like you do with male cats?

Asked by Member 780728 on Dec 17th 2008 in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Tiberius

Neutering MAY help with the marking - but it may not. They will mark outside regardless. But in the house, since he has only been there one day, he may stop in the house too. You could let him in for a while at a time and really watch him and if he starts to mark - you know you say NO!! and work with him a bit. We have two males. One was neutered and one wasn't. We take them on vacation with us and always the first day of vacation the urge is there for them to mark in the cabin we rent. We just have to make it clear NO!! Not in the house and they don't do it. Once in a while they may the first day one time and we have to clean it up. But they have been trained not to. Our youngest just got Neutered he was marking sometimes in the house and he has stopped. If you plan on keeping your GSD - it may help him settle into his new home if he was neutered. It is your choice though and only our opinion...

Good Luck!! Tiberius and Momma

Tiberius answered on Dec 17th.

Answers

Mack

Mack marked when we first got him. Before he was neutered, we kept a close eye on him indoors and when we went for a walk, he was only allowed to pee in the yard. On the walk, he was not allowed to urinate at all. He has since been neutered and has not marked, even in new surroundings.

Keep a close eye if neutering doesn't work. You could hook him to your belt loop or crate him so that you can keep a better eye on him. Vigilance!

Mack answered on 12/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Most likely, no. He is already into the habit. But he should be neutered anyway.
It's very hard to keep a male from marking and can take a long time. Until he's good about not marking in the house, keep a belly band on him. A belly-band is basically a strip of cloth tied around the dog's middle, over his privates. It will need to be changed at least a couple of times a day.
Best of luck.