Toby

Does anyone else's dog react badly to Revolution?

I have a 4 yr old male Bichon Frise. He is on a wellness plan from our vet so we get sent out Revolution every month and his worming tablet every 3.

The tablet he eats fine with his meal and has no effects, but he HATES revolution. He gets really depressed and submissive when he's been revolution'd. Also sometimes he gets quite hot.

This all lasts a few hours and then he is fine. We just hate having him go through it every month. I will definitely be asking the vet at our next visit for different options, but I am curious wether anyone else has had this type of reaction (or others) and if they've found any different options that cover all the protection that Revolution gives.

Asked by Toby on May 18th 2010 Tagged dog, bichon, frise, revolution, hot, reaction in Flea & Tick Prevention

Answers

I used Revolution for 5 years on 2 dogs and never saw the slightest problem. One person's experience is a drop in the bucket. All the remedies have a certain rate of bad reactions. My dogs were in the great majority that didn't have problems. Read the fine print in the instructions that came with the Revolution. They may even give the percentage of dogs having troubles.

Talk to the vet. We are now using Sentinel because Revolution doesn't control the whipworm problem we have. Perhaps something else would eliminate the additional worm medicine you are giving.

My dogs don't like getting these topicals applied and will try to hide if they can. As this is not a reaction that seems to be long lasting, I think it's not so much physical and emotional.
In other words Toby really hates the stuff, it smells funny, it feels weird. He's a bit confused why you do this when he clearly doesn't like it, but he's a good boy about it.

Some of the reaction is a reflection because you feel guilty about putting it on when he doesn't like it.

Distract both of you by making Revolution day a play or walkies day. Fresh air will take your minds off it.

Daisy

Maybe try something else. There are many similar flea preventatives out there that might be better for you. I use revolution on my dogs and love it. It works, its easy to use. But every dog reacts differently. Advantage multi or front line plus are others you can ask your vet about.

Daisy answered on 5/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

If he gets hot and seems uncomfortable, I'd not use it on him again if he were my dog.

Dogs can't really tell us all that they are feeling and he may well be having a physical reaction that you can't accurately gauge the severity of.

If he's having a true allergic reaction then those things are scary sometimes. They can get 10x worse from application to application and are nothing to mess with.

Ask your vet about alternatives and if you do try Sentinel, be aware that some brands like this have a formula that requires certain bloodwork be taken before starting them on the drug.

Good luck with him. He's adorable.

Gunner

I use confortus. It's a pill that kills everything for a month. You SEE the fleas falling off. I've heard some not-so-great-stuff about revolution, in fact a couple of vets down here (s/e texas) aren't using it anymore because it didn't work correctly or side effects. There are much better things on the market.

Gunner answered on 5/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hi! My dog boxer had terrible reaction to Revolution. I know there is a lots of dogs who do fine on it but not my dog. We almost lost her few days ago! I gave her Revolution after 2 weeks as doctor suspected ear Mites and advised me to give it to her every 14 days. Her reaction was horrible. Her whole body was swollen, eyes, ears, paws, belly, she got big bumps all of her body. I have never seen dog looking like that! I took her to emergency and she was put on steroids via intravenous. After half of day she was almost back to normal, but as meds were wearing off her symptoms came back. She is on Benadryl and Prednisone but its not as strong as other stuff and she is still very sick. A little better though. I know Revolution stays in her body for around 40 days. I did notice her being itchy after Revolution I was giving her monthly, she sometimes got bumps as well, but that dissappeared quite fast. I was always blaming it on some food or other allergies.Now I know its Revolution!

Our Boston got a dose from our Vet last month for prevention of fleas/heartworm and we noticed later during the month that he started getting listless episodes and we spent lots of money on vet visits trying to find out what was wrong with our pet and all his tests were normal so we decided to changed his diet. Finally after a month our Boston started feeling like himself. We put on Revolution(2nd dose)as prescribed and he immediately started to get drowsy, salivating and acting very docile(unlike a Boston Terrier). I immediately bathed him and got all the medication off of him but he still is acting so tired. Now we know whats causing his weird behaviors...I will NEVER use this stuff again on him. My other dog, a large mix, didnt have a reaction.

Griffon

My dog had a strong reaction to Revolution. She's a 23 lb Brussels Griffon. She was vomiting and had bloody diarrhea.
She actually sprayed the entire exam room with bloody diarrhea. It was pretty scary.
To be honest, the vet kept saying it wasn't a reaction to the Revolution, and something else was making her sick. But I'll never chance it again. She got well and she's fine now, and I just comb her out with an herbal flea spray once a week or so.

Griffon answered on 5/27/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer