Willow

Do 3pound chihuahua puppies get along with giant dogs?

I just adopted a 3 pound chihuahua puppy and I also have 2 giant dogs.Should I keep her kennel not by the other dogs?

Asked by Willow on Jun 5th 2010 Tagged smalldogsbigdogs in Bringing Your Pet Home

Answers

Buckeye

I would not be so much concerned about the dogs getting along, but more about the Chihuahua getting injured. Being with two giant dogs is not safe for a Chihuahua, because the two dogs can easily step on or knock over the Chihuahua. If the Chihuahua is being completely supervised, then it may be okay. Make sure the two bigger dogs are not bothered by the Chihuahua, and the Chihuahua is not bothered by the two giant dogs. It may be very scary for a small dog to be around two bigger dogs. When you are not home or can not supervise them, keep them serperated with a secure baby gate or kennel.

Buckeye answered on 6/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Psh, no reason why they shouldn't, assuming the dogs are well-socialized and don't have any issues. Since the Chihuahua is still a puppy, she is still developing the correct reactions to other dogs. How old is she? She may be up to puppy antics. How do the older dogs react this sort of thing?
Normally I'd say let the adults correct the puppies as it's part of teaching them how to behave, but, as pointed out, such a large dog might accidentally hurt such a small dog. So I'm not sure there. When you have them together, keep a close eye on them.

Sonny

It's a good idea to crate the puppies near the other dogs for comfort & bonding. They should not be left out unsupervised as the big dogs could hurt them without meaning to.

I don't think any dog has a concept of size, they all think they are Great Danes.

Sonny answered on 6/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I think the only thing I'd be concerned about here is whether or not the two giant dogs are socialized and gentle enough to be aware of her size while playing with her.

Some dogs, while totally friendly and sweet natured, can still hurt a smaller dog by complete accident because they simply aren't as aware of the smaller dog's size while playing or being near the small dog.

And with a 3 pound puppy, that's my biggest worry here.

But also, having said that, keeping her in a kennel, away from the other dogs, isn't the best idea in terms of socialization and the introduction and integration of the puppy to your home.

Maybe keep the larger dogs on leash and let them play only while very closely supervised until you can be sure that they seem to be aware of her size and are responding well to her presence.

I know of an Irish Wolfhound who was terrified by a teacup yorke at doggie daycare. My point is....be prepared for anything!

And good luck with your new puppy!

One thing also to remember is that chihuahuas thing they are big dogs. So they may try to start something they are not big enough to back up. I would watch them at first until they get used to each other. I have friends that have them and they can get along with the big dogs in the house. But the small dogs rule the house and the big dogs just seem to let them. As a matter of fact they are the little dogs protecter. So i guess i would say yes they can but just keep an eye on them. And be careful that the big dogs dont just run over the small one when they are playing. I was at my friends house and the bigger dog was running and the chihuahua decided to run after them and got rolled over when it got under the big dogs legs. It was not hurt, but it could happen.