chiwennie

is chiwennies good with small kids...i was thinking bout getting my 6 yr od one but wanna know if they are good with small kids first.

Asked by Member 1153693 on Feb 5th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Honestly I would wait until your kid was older and you have time for a dog since YOU will be fulfilling all of it's needs and not the child. In a word, NO, I don't think it would be a good match due to those dogs normally being snappy, barky etc.. if not properly socialized and trained. That will take time. The dog would be a bit more easily hurt then lets say a larger dog.

Chase

Well a 'chiweenie' is a mixed breed dog. One parent a chihuahua, the other parent a dachshund. Supposedly. Since this isn't an actual breed the parents could be whatever.
Typically, however, neither of these breeds are known for being exceptional with children.
If you want to stay small I'd recommend a pug, personally. Little clowns, and usually pretty good with children.

But I agree with the previous poster. Your six year old is not going to take care of a dog. Would you really expect your kid to take the dog for a walk everyday? Likely it will be you doing the grunt work.

Chase answered on 2/5/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Mr.Maxy

Because they are really fragile a child might roll on them or squish them especially because they love to go underneath blankets and someone might not see it

Mr.Maxy answered on 2/5/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer