Watson, In loving memory

Chihuahua is to skinny

I've been fostering Watson for about 4 weeks now and I've noticed that he hasn't gained a lot of weight since I've started fostering him. He was skinny when I first started fostering him and he's skinny now! I've been feeding him a high quality food about 1/2 cup a day split up into 2 meals. Do I need to feed him more? He does have Kennel cough right now though so could that be causing him not to gain weight? Or could it be just because he's an older dog that he's not gaining weight as fast? (the shelter says he's 6 I say he's 7-8 the vet said he's 11-13). Watson weighs about 4.5 lbs right now but I can see his ribs and backbone he's so skinny

Asked by Watson, In loving memory on Aug 30th 2008 Tagged skinny, chihuahua, foster in Other Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Peaches ♥

Peaches was in the same condition when we got her. The rescue had her for several weeks and she didn't gain weight because of the kennel cough and a few bad teeth. Our vet recommended giving her puppy food to help her gain the weight back more quickly - it's higher in fat and protein.

It took a couple more months but she got to be a fat and happy 8 lbs. Better yet, the vet said she was 9-10 when we first got her but at her 1 year checkup, they scaled that back to 7-8. Turns out that the missing weight makes them seem older than they really are.

Peaches ♥ answered on Aug 31st.

Answers

TK, CGC

I have always seen Satin Balls recommended for effective weight gain. Here's a page with a couple of recipes that I googled quickly:

www.doglogic.com

TK, CGC answered on 8/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Miley

try feeding him a natural brand of puppy food. natural cause it will give him the nutrition he needs and puppy food because it is high in calories.

Miley answered on 8/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I think that feeding him puppy food will help.The ingredients of the puppy food help puppies get bigger in the right way-I think it will help Watson gaining some weight.

Also,how about adding some chicken,beef,and pieces of bread with milk in his diet?