May

Carrying an unvaccinated pup around?

Can I? I keep hearing conflicting advice, some saying that I can take her out as long as she doesn't touch the ground and has no contact with other dogs, other advice saying I should keep her in. I have to carry her to the vet (I don't actually own a car) as it is, is this dangerous?

Asked by May on Jun 18th 2010 in Vaccinations

Answers

Brutus

I don't think it would be dangerous as long as you carry her. Of course, you'll need to get her to the veternarian somehow. Do you have a friend that could possibly drive you and May? Honestly, I let other people meet my new puppy before he got vaccinated. I also had another dog in the house that he was around. Nothing happened, but I did get him vaccinated within the first few days we brought him. I think the ideal choice would be getting a ride to the vet, but it wouldn't be a problem if you simply carry her.

Brutus answered on 6/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Since 1991, we have gotten a new 7 week old puppy every year. We have always taken them out all kinds of places. We are careful to carry them around where there may be strange dogs.

The period between 6-12 weeks is a dangerous time. One sniff where a sick dog relieved itself in the last 6 months can bring on parvo or another life threatening disease. Fail to expose it to strangers, including men, women, children, noise, etc. and you could end up with a misfit you can't take out in public. They also need continuing contact with other dogs, but it must be limited to ones you know are getting good care.

Actually distemper and parvo are airborne. So vaccinations are great for babies. They don't last for a long time that's why they come in succession of each other in the first few week and months of their puppy hood. Talk to your vet about this.
I would not take him to heavy dog traveled areas just in general.

You will be doing socialization in the first few months so get the shots all done so that you can start that process soon.

I wouldn't risk it.

Even if she doesn't get parvo or distemper, there are other things like kennel cough that can be serious for a puppy this young/small.

I would keep her socialization confined to the backyard with dogs you know are vaccinated and friendly and get her the routine shots when she's on schedule for them per your vet.

:-) She's very cute.

I wouldn't take an unvaccinated puppy out just to take him out. But, if you are taking him to the vet, as long as you stay away from other dogs, I think he should be ok. How far do you have to go? Also, I wouldn't put him on the vet's floor until he has his shots. Good Luck!

Its really dangreous. Theirs germs on every serface besides welly cleaned hospitals. Their could be germs on your arm wich goes on ur dog. I sudjest puting somthing that wll cover ur arm on then carry your dog one hand on stomac and another on chest hold her almost diagonal and bring her to the vet SHE SHOULD BE CARED FOR AUTOMATICLY im sure u dont want to lose a friend