Can you rehome a dog that has bit? He's only 1.

My husband and I rescued our dog at just 9 weeks old and unfortunately over the past year he has bite over resource guarding issues with a bone. We no longer give him the bones that caused the bites, but he still shows small warning signs that he is guarding other items (something like a sock or tissue that he gets ahold of). He is the most loving and playful dog, but now that I am pregnant we don't think keeping him in our home will be safe. He needs to be somewhere without children and with someone who can work on his resource guarding issue (which I've heard can be helped with the right training). Is there anywhere that is willing to help our dog? We love him so much and want to find him a good home.

Asked by Member 1130907 on Sep 15th 2012 Tagged resource, guarding, rescue, foster, dog, bite, rehome, train in Fostering a Pet

Answers

Chase

of course you can rehome a dog. Just make sure that if you post an ad somewhere you explicitly state his issues, and make sure that before you adopt him out you reiterate his issues.
However, these issues definitely can be worked through. When I adopted Chase she was a biter. She'd grab hold and clamp down, though she never broke skin. She was also a resource guarder.
Now she can happily drink water from the same bowl as another dog, and eat comfortably in the same room as other dogs. Bones are still iffy (it depends on who she's with) so I just remove all bones when I have other dogs around and everybody's happy.

Chase answered on 9/15/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Opheila

Perhaps if he's a specific breed or looks like a specific breed there might be a rescue group that can help. They can screen people and won't automatically destroy him...as many city shelters do when they hear bite history...

Opheila answered on 9/15/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I did read and re-read your question about rehoming your dog with biting issues/and resource guarding issues. Yes you can be re-home your dog bu tyou have to be 100% honest with the new people however I recommend that you take your "rescued" dog to training classes before your baby us born & make sure the trainer understands you want both the dog and keep the kid safe, The dog senses something is "wrong with you" (I went though this similar thing 10 years ago with a rottie & it worked out awesome, we made sure the dog got the baby blanket to smell, lick, etc and NEVer left the k9 with our daughter)
Sadly rescue groups will no doubt PTS your dog with its bite history no mattter the breed (I look with rottie/pit-bulls and german shepherd rescues now) I hope this helps

I don't think resource biting is considered something that would keep him from finding a home--a lot of dogs resource guard. (Not that it shouldn't be corrected.)