Can you give your dog vanillia ice cream. Is it safe?? ice cream good or bad??

Just wondering since it is starting to get hot!

Asked by Member 494169 on Apr 11th 2008 Tagged icecream, goodorbad in Treats

Best Answer

I agree with Cash. I freeze non fat plain yogurt in ice cube molds and stick things like apple, banana and frozen peas or even a bit of chicken in there, too.

A great cold treat for a dog and it is healthy and won't harm them at all.

Personally, I wouldn't give my dog ice cream. It has so much fat and sugar in it that it really isn't great for the dog. There are SO many other things that dogs can have that they LOVE and are good for them.

I think it is a very human (and natural) thing to want to give a dog we love something WE think is great and tasty, but really its more about us than the dog. They'd be happy with something like the frozen ice cube treat and it would be healthy for them, too....just a thought!

Jack answered on Apr 11th.

Answers

Lily

Nothing with sugar in is particularly good for a dog. But sugar is better than the chemicals in sugar free. That is absolute no-no! A lick or two of lowfat regular ice cream isn't going to ruin his health, but it may be a bad habit to encourage. There is a dog ice cream - is it Frosty Paws? I've never read a label to see if it's acceptable, but my gut feeling that it should only be an occasional treat. Try making him some ice cubes with a little salt free, MSG free beef or chicken broth for flavor. People say dogs like ice cubes. I have no personal experience with them.

Lily answered on 4/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Daisy~The Angel By My Side~

I give my dogs a little bit of vanilla ice cream now and then. It doesn't seem to hurt them at all.

Daisy~The Angel By My Side~ answered on 4/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

My dog gets ice cream every once in a great while. Just be careful, with some dogs diary products will cause them to have diarreah. That is the case with my little Sheltie mix.

Cash TT

I think a better choice would be to give your dog something cold and yummy that is good for him!
You can mix some chicken broth with water, and freze it in ice cubes for your pup. Belle, in the Food and Nutrition forums reccomended nonfat yogurt,peanut-butter, honey and bananas frozen together for a tasty icy treat that you can both enjoy together!
After readign this thread, I feel it's better if small dogs stayed away from Frosty Paws...
www.dogster.com

Cash TT answered on 4/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer