Chopper

can I use bug repellent on my dog

can i use bug repellent for humans on my dog

Asked by Chopper on May 25th 2010 Tagged bugrepellent, dogs in Health & Wellness

Answers

Hector

I have read that you aren't suppose to, but yet my vet says it is okay if you use it lightly and don't let it penetrate the coat. He says not to use it on bare areas, like stomach and anywhere there isn't much or no hair.

I use it on my dogs. I live in woods, and we get lots of ticks and mosquitos. So just as an extra precaution, I lightly spray it on my hands and rub their backs with it.

I am paranoid I guess that they will be bitten by an infected mosquito and get heartworms or tick fever. I have them on prescription preventative, I use a little bit of garlic in food every few days and on warm muggy nights, I will lightly dab them with repellent that I use on myself. It even keeps flys off of them.

If you use it, don't put it where it can be licked easily. Im sure one taste and they wouldn't want to anyway. It is NASTY!!

Just as with prescription meds, we are always taking a chance, and we hope the benefits outweight the risk. I have to take the risk in this area.

Hector answered on 5/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Isy

You'd be better off with the stuff designed for horses. Most flysprays for horses are also safe for dogs. Different brands work in different areas so you may have to try a few different ones so start with small bottles. They don't usually like it cuz they smell citrusy and they will roll around trying to rub it off. Once you find the rite one, it works great!

You can find it at feed stores, tack stores, places like tractor supply, and online--anywhere you can get horse stuff.

Isy answered on 5/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

no. most of them contain deet. This is a known skin cancer agent. Please find another route. I am looking into trying peppermint and lemon grass sprays. Also watch that your dog doesn't lick his body or feet.
I have recently came across a product called Tick Guard. It is all natural. I just haven't had the time to find the website, but someone in my club had boughten it and I am interested in trying it.
good luck.

Petri

I don't recommend it because of all the chemicals in standard bug repellents. Many of them can be toxic to dogs. A better alternative is PETfection Bug Spray. It is 100% Organic, Non-Toxic, and made for dogs!!! It is a great thing to have on hand if you are looking for a spray type repellent. I love it! You can check it out at www.mypetfection.com.

Petri answered on 5/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I found moist wipes called bug band, it's all natural made with geranium oils, they smell nice too. They do not contain any DEET.