Jayjay

Can I give my dogs a small amount (1 -2 tablespoon) of sugar free applesauce or sweet potatoes mixed with their kibble?

Asked by Jayjay on Jan 2nd 2010 in Homemade Food

Best Answer

It will not hurt them at all. I make homemade dog treats alot, and I use a whole can of pumpkin, it is really good for them. It helps with there coat, there digestive issues, and helps with there pudding poop. The pumpkin does NOT have to be cooked. You can give more than a tablespoon of pumpkin, like I said I use a whole can when I make my homemade dog treats, sometimes I will put a half of a can of pumpkin in Howard's food, it does not hurt them at all!

answered on Jan 2nd.

Answers

Sheba

I don't think it would hurt them!

Sarah&Sheba

Sheba answered on 1/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Zackintosh CJ

No, it won't hurt, but don't give sugar free stuff. The artificial sweeteners are not good for dogs.
Be careful though, if you give them "people food" all the time, they might get picky and refuse their dog food.

Zackintosh CJ answered on 1/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Make sure the sweet potatoes are cooked.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 1/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

As Zachintosh said, sugar free can sometimes mean artificially sweetened, which isn't good for dogs. Basically, all of the products that we use for fake sugar (Splenda, Sweet and Low, Sacchrine, Stevia and other natural non-sugars) are toxic to dogs and shouldn't be given to them in even small amounts.

Sweet potato is excellent, as long as it's plain, boiled with no butter or salt. Canned sweet potatoes can have too much salt or fat (if they include butter or syrup) for dogs to handle and it can make them sick.

The only other thing I'd mention is that dogs do best on a mixture of kibble and wet/canned food, so if you're having trouble getting the dogs to eat (not sure if this is your reason for wanting to add this to the food or not, but I'll assume it is) then you may want to add canned food to the kibble. Ideally, it should be a 60/40 wet to dry ratio and you can add the canned over a period of a week or two to avoid gastric upset from changing too quickly.

As long as it is free of artificial sweeteners, it in its self won't hurt. However, it is very seldom a good thing if you need to encourage a dog to eat more. The worst thing you can do is to bribe a dog with rich foods into eating more than it needs. Instead, Put down the dish with what the dog should eat, and give it 15 minutes to eat. Then take it up. Do not give it anything to eat until its next scheduled meal. In a few days, it should be eating what it needs. Continue to check its ribs as illustrated at www.longliveyourdog.com and adjust the food as needed. This is not easy. I had a Shepherd go 3 days on a few nibbles. I was a wreck, but she was fine. It is almost unknown for a healthy dog not to eat what it needs. Unfortunately, in too many cases, it is less than the package says, and less than the owner thinks the dog should have. Many dogs are quite good at holding out for tastier chow. Like kids, sometimes it calls for tough love.

I would like to know where Jack got the idea mixing canned food with kibble is better for a dog. I can't imagine he knows more about dog care than the dog guide schools that has us feeding nothing but dry kibble.

Chocolate

useless calories but it won't kill them. Add sardines,raw eggs, and cottage cheese instead.

Chocolate answered on 1/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I bet Jayjay meant applesauce with no sugar added. That kind would be fine. Maybe Jayjay's mom even makes the applesauce. Yummy!

Jet

It won't hurt, but make sure you only give it a few times a week, because they could start to refuse their dog food and it could make their droppings a bit runny. Make sure the sweet potates are cooked, and make sure the applesauce isn't one of those kind like Mango Applesauce or whatever with artifical stuff. You could even make homeade applesauce. You could also grow your own apples! The possibilities are endless to make sure that your dogs are safe and happy. If problems arise, talk to your vet.

Jet answered on 1/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer