can I do the fast kill (immiticide) treatment crate for a month and then try the slow kill method?

I adopted a Yorkie who was badly neglected. He has heartworm. I've done the first two inj. of Immiticide and crate rest. He's suppose to have a second round. I don't feel good about it. Is it feasible to do the rest with the slow kill method? I'm afraid of painful injection, poison and losing him. Not to mention the cost. Thanks!

Asked by Member 764347 on Nov 7th 2008 in Heartworm Control

Answers

Sadie

I've never had a dog with heartworm but this method sounds terrible the way you explain it. I wish I were more familiar with it. Poor baby. I have been wanting to adopt another yorkie really bad. My 2 chi's do not like my poor yorkie at all so I want to find her a friend. I wish I knew where to look. Back to your question...have you talked to the vet and asked if there is a different method? Poor baby has already suffered so much, but it needs to be done. I would ask the vet your question, it couldn't be hurt. Thank you so very much for adopting that poor baby.
Good Luck!! Let us know how it does, please!!

Sadie answered on 11/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Promise

I am so sorry to hear about the heartworms. From what I understand, treating heartworm is the dog equivilant of treating cancer. It's hard to do, painful, and grueling. If you are having second thoughts about the second round of treatment, maybe you should seek out a second medical opinion. I do this when I am not in agreement or feel uneasy about a vet's opinion and do just as I would if the medical treatment was for me. Good Luck and hope your baby feels better soon! We'll pray for you!

Promise answered on 11/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Pogo

Most dogs I have watched undergo treatment at work recover very quickly. Most never show signs of any problems resulting from it. I can understand your concerns over your little yorkie. In all honesty, I would talk to your vet and if he thinks it is safe then it should be. If the vet finds the treatment too much for the little guy to handle, he wouldn't recommend it. Vets don't want to see their patience die and they also take close precautions so they don't get sued. Talk to the vet and express your concerns. And, try calling another vet and asking for a second opinion if need be,

Pogo answered on 11/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer