Can I crate train a new puppy in the same crate as the existing 7yr old dog. Both are shin tzus

I have a 7 yr old shin tzu male and will b getting a 9 week old female. The older dog is very spoiled and attached to me. How do I get them together. Do I put them in the same crate? At nite the baby can sleep with my grand daughter. I don't know where to begin. Please help

Asked by Member 1149764 on Jan 13th 2013 in Crate Training

Answers

The whole point of a crate is to give the puppy a place where she can be alone and safe, a den, so to speak. The added bonus is that the puppy will not soil its sleeping area, so you would want to use the crate at night until the puppy is house broken and over the chew everything stage. Furthermore, if she ends up jumping off your granddaughter's bed during the night, she could seriously injure herself! Her crate should be just big enough for her to stand up and turn around. Any bigger and she will have room to pee/poop in one end, which defeats the purpose of using a crate for housebreaking. Give her an old towel in her crate so you can wash it if it gets soiled.
It is NOT safe, nor is it fair to make the older dog stay in the same crate as your puppy. He could easily get tired of her chewing at him and bothering him and snap at her, potentially injuring her, or end up hating her.
His crate should also be used as his safe place where he can get away from her and be by himself.

Seth

I think you are looking for trouble, if you try to put a puppy in with an older dog that is used to being the only one. I think I would get them both a crate. Not only will it be better for house training the new puppy. But it gives them both a place they can call their own.

Seth answered on 1/14/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer