CAN DOGS EAT BOLOGNA

My husband occassionally gives our 2 year old Yorkie bologna. I hear that it is bad to give dogs table food due to the high salt content. Is bologna ok to give to dogs?

Asked by Member 636823 on May 25th 2008 Tagged yorkie, food, nutrition, bad in Other Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Shayne CGC, RL2

If it is really occasionally it wont hurt your pup. Shayne gets a bit of bologna the once in blue moon when i get it (really maybe once or twice a year).

It is high in fat and salt so don't give it too often... you can always give carrots, apple slices (no core), bananas, etc.. any number of really yummy fruits or veggies!

So is it good for your dog, NO; but in real moderation it isn't harmful.

Shayne CGC, RL2 answered on May 26th.

Answers

Layla

Bologna will not kill your dog but it is very high in salt content, nitrates and fat. It's really your choice on whether you give it to your dog or not but it's not the best thing to give of course.

Layla answered on 5/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The salt is one thing, the fat is another problem completely.

Dogs who eat fatty foods have a high risk of developing a condition called pancreatitis. That is basically an inflammation of the pancreas and can lead to permanent diabetes and death if not treated quickly and aggressively. Sometimes, side effects from medications can also cause pancreatitis, as can certain toxins.

But, dogs who eat fatty foods and table scraps are at much greater risk for this condition that dogs who eat a healthy, high quality dog food diet.

I wouldn't give this kind of food to my dog, personally.

I would stick to things like plain, white boiled rice, apples and bits of baked potato, for example.