Brother and Sister Puppies?

Is it okay to adopt 2 puppies from the same litter? Boy/girl 4 months old, I have the time to train them... will it work? Is it a good/bad idea?

Asked by Member 835355 on May 11th 2009 Tagged puppies, adoption in Behavior & Training

Answers

Jasper

Hey, if youre willing to put the time into it and realize its going to be a rough go for a bit then I see no problem!

Make sure you have all the health background knowledge on both parents because the lamest thing ever would be to adopt two sick pups at once, expensive AND heart breaking!

Jasper answered on 5/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

It's certainly doable to raise two siblings together, though I have heard accounts that getting a brother and sister from the same litter can make some things easier, while it makes other things harder. Beyond that, I don't know much about it. I don't have any experience in this department (yet), and while I have been researching breeding and raising puppies for several years, I did not read into raising siblings specifically.

Stormy

From all of the pairs Ive seen- personally its alot more work than people think. First of all littermates always play super rough with eachother. (not sure if its also true for small breed dogs). But they may learn rough play habits from eachother which will not translate well to playing with OTHERS.
Also, as far as training goes- its not about time but more about how to get the 2 dogs apart from eachother for individual time. It is VERY hard for ONE person to train TWO puppies at the SAME time- (Ive seen it) They will want to play with eachother and unless you have a second hand and have the space to separate the pups during training sessions- its going to be HHAAAAARRRD!!!
And time apart... take it seriously!! Take them separately to many places, they will spend PLENTY of their life together at home so they need to develop independantly! Alot of littermates use eachother for safety and gang up on a 3rd dog when playing.
I guess it all depends on the breed of the potential pups!

Stormy answered on 5/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Obie

the trouble with raising two puppies is they need individual training especially if they are not a tiny breed. they wont like being taken out apart unless you have someone else at home to help you. two together will be too interested in each other to listern to you.

Obie answered on 5/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Jasper

My friend has two lab/border collie mixes from the same litter, a boy and a girl, and she got them together when they were about 9 weeks old.

They're now about 4 years old and they get along wonderfully, however, when they were puppies it was quite a challenge for my friend as she had TWO puppies to train instead of one. And they were much more interested in playing with one another than listening to her. But she really worked at it, and now that they're adults they're very close to each other and have a bond like I've never seen! So yes, it is doable, you just have to be willing to put in that extra work that it's going to take!

Jasper answered on 5/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

as long as they are neutered and spayed before accident happen.
And if you have the time and knowledge, patience to raise two the same age. That means twice the mess and twice the chewing up of things. Twice the expense of food, crates, chew toys, vet bills ect...

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 5/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

The one thing that I would take very seriously is the rough play factor. Because they will be together most of the time, they will be setting the pace of how they play. That is unless you set boundries. Not all siblings play rough, I know. This is the "just in case" response. If you take them to a park, they're going to play rough with the other dogs and that doesn't always go over well. My dog got ganged up on by sibling dogs and I had to take my dog out of the park. I also have a friend who has a set of brothers and they are super sweet, but they play incredibly rough with each other and when I've been with them out on the trails, her dogs are just as rough with the dogs they encounter. I've even witnessed the two of them isolating a dog from it's pack and harrassing it to the point that it gets scary. I know not all siblings are like that, but it's something that you have to be very aware of and you have to teach them that playing nice is much better for them.

I have two Dobermans from the same litter, their now one year old and omg what a battle it has been. Simple training of basics is a challeng because they want to play with each other all the time. I simply seperated them by leaving one in the kennel for an hour while training the other to do things it needed to do. It did work, they are both potty trained completely, they will sit and stay until I tell them to get up. they do well on a leash or they can walk beside me without it and not wonder off to far. They do well with other dogs including our new 12 week old bulldog, but I am constantly on them about the rough play with each other, it makes me bananas.. I can't let them do it, becase it will set a bad example for the puppy and so far all that they have been trained to do has rubbed off onto the puppy, he is only 12 weeks and potty trained and leashed trained. None of them bark at other dogs nor do they chase them. Even cats are safe. But I'm at my wits end with the harsh playing.