are there any clothes that will protect shaved areas of dog post surgery.

Asked by Member 555745 on Jan 8th 2008 Tagged surgicalapparel in Apparel

Answers

Most dog owners tend to just use old T-shirts for this purpose. They can be great for covering spay sutures and other parts of the dog's body while it's healing to prevent the dog from chewing on it or to keep the shaved area warm and clean.

I've used a two T-shirt method on some dogs to cover both front and back. For the front part, put the T-shirt on like you would normally. For the back part, pull the rear legs through the arm holes of the T-shirt and the tail through the neck.

The easiest way to secure the shirts is by tying to bottom of the T-shirt, which will hang loose around the dog's middle, into a knot, or pulling it up and securing it with medical tape.

If you have a small breed dog or you don't have any old T-shirts to use, you can get children's shirts and other T-shirts for this purpose for very cheap at your local thrift store.

I completely second the t-shirt theory!

Jack had surgery to remove a lump in his arm last year and it was an oddly placed incision, from just above the elbow to the top of the shoulderblade.

I used an old, women's xs t shirt on him that I had around the house. It was well, well worn and so it was very soft and kind of flimsy. I had to adjust it by cutting off the sleeves and sewing a few stitches in the neck as it slipped down far enough that the collar sometimes rested on the actual incision.

What I'm trying to say is that you might have to experiment with it a bit, but it is safe, easy and comfortable for the dog if you can manage the right fit.

Be prepared for adjustments and maybe get two shirts so you can have one to wash and one to wear.

Also, be prepared for your dog to look both completely pathetic and completely adorable at the same time. LOL.