Daisy

Are nylabones edible?

Daisy is almost 5 months and majorly teething. She loves nylabones, but I'm finding pieces of them around the house and the entire end of one is missing. Is this ok? Are they digestible?

Asked by Daisy on Jan 20th 2009 in Toys

Answers

Zackintosh CJ

Yes they are "edible" but not the best thing for your dog.
Give her a natural raw bone for teething, its perfectly edible and safe for her to eat.
Maybe get a puppy Kong for her to chew as well, she won't chew chunks off and the special puppy Kong massages their gums making them feel better.

Zackintosh CJ answered on 1/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

MACH ADCH Lilliana TQX

I believe the packages say to supervise and remove if you observe larger pieces. I wouldn't suggest leaving Daisy with the one unless you are there to pick it up if she breaks off a big piece. She could choke or it could cause an obstruction. Some of the Nylabones are "edibles", others are made of nylon and probably will not break down in the stomach. Sharp edges where she's chewed could be worrisome too.

So, throw away the one with the end missing.

You can buy edible nylabone treats and/or get a "tough chewer" Nylabone.

Our favorite chewie (a little expensive) are bully sticks. They stink... a lot... but they are digestible, good for the teeth and a blessing when the adult dog teeth start to come in.

Daisy may like some ice cubes too, or a cloth icie (small piece of cloth, rolled like a hotdog, put in a sandwich baggie, add water to bag, seal and freeze). Her new teeth will not be as sharp, but her gums will be sore for a while.

MACH ADCH Lilliana TQX answered on 1/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I stopped giving the softer nylabones to my dog because she would eat the pieces and then either vomit or I would find bloody pieces of nylabone in her feces. They are not digested. Try Nylabone Dinosaurs. They are really hard and don't break off. My dog has been chewing them for 12 years and she loves them. She is a small dog like Daisy. PS: Dinosaurs for some reason are hard to find in the stores, I usually buy online at Petco or Dr. Foster and Smith and they last forever. It takes a small dog along time (years) to go through them. Stay away from Greenies, CNN did a report where some dogs couldn't digest the pieces, had blockages and died. Good Luck!.

I've also had this question - so I did a little internet search. It turns out that there is a credible POTENTIAL for problems in the plastic variety. Large shards can be chewed off of the toy and swallowed. They can become lodged in the intestine, and because they are not visible on x-ray, they can become deadly. There are several documented cases of wedged nylabone fragments causing intestinal infections and eventual death. The company is aware that some dogs will chew the nylabone to the point of breaking off fragments - my golden retriever's favorite one looked like a toilet bowl brush when she was done with it. But they say that the fragments break off in pieces "no larger than a grain of rice and can be easily passed in the digestive system." I made my mind up - I don't want plastic particles floating around my dog's gut, if I can help it. Too bad, otherwise it's a good product that keeps her happy and occupied --- but no more. I love her too much!