Schultz

Are GSDs just naturally aloof to people?

Every time I take my dog out for a walk or to PetSmart, I get a lot of attention - he's over 100 lbs, and he's TALL - he's quite a big boy. Plus he's mostly black with a little silver and a lot of people don't recognize that he's a GSD.

Yet, through all this positive attention, Schultz is completely oblivious! haha - It's like he doesn't have ANY interest at all... in fact he even backs away from groups of children who try to approach him to pet and cuddle him. On one hand, I don't mind - I wouldn't want strangers hugging all over me either - but I am curious whether it's a normal thing that he's aloof, or if he's a little bit anti-social. He's okay with house guests and will play and interact with them - but strangers, he'd rather not even bother (unless he thinks they're standing a little too close to his humans)

Asked by Schultz on Aug 25th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

If GSD's are not THOROUGHLY socialized from youth to be friendly to everyone, it will not happen. This is definitely not a bad thing. Your dog was bred to work and protect, so let him do that. You can treat train him with Nutro Large Breed biscuits and give him one each time that he is nice to someone outside of the house or yard. They're fast learners (unless they do not want to be), so he'll pick up the idea. Find another large GSD in your area for him to make friends with, perhaps from a multi-dog family... that will help also. :) ^_^