Are black spots in a dog's mouth normal?

Two days ago, I noticed my year old yellow lab has a black spot at the base of one upper tooth. Are black spots a common thing or should I have the vet look at her?

Asked by Member 762297 on Nov 2nd 2008 Tagged blackspots, mouth, labs in Dental Care

Answers

Byron

Byron has black spots too. I don't worry about it as long as there is no swelling. You might want to call your vet and ask over the phone (for free) whether you should be concerned.

Byron answered on 11/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

samantha

THERE IS A MYTH THAT CHOWS ONLY HAVE BALCK TONUES OR MIX DOGS HAVE BLACK ON THERE TONUE.

IT IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. I HAVE A DOG THAT HAS A SMALL BLACK SPOT AND THE VET SAID THAT WAS NOTHING TO WORY ABOUT.

JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE A FULL BLOOED LAB, DOESN'T BEEN IT'S CHOW. iT'S NOTHING TO WORRIED ABOUT.

I HAVE NEVER HEARD IF A DOG HAVING A BLACK SPOT ON IT TOOTH.

I DO KNOW THAT DOGS TEETH GETS BUILD UP ON THEIR TEETH JUST AS WE DO.

samantha answered on 11/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bonnie Brilynn

If you're unsure whether it's always been there or just appeared out of nowhere (or the spot does change shape or size in ANY way !) I'd recommend having your vet take a look at it.
If nothing else, you'll have peace of mind.

As for possible causes - it might always have been there (I do assume we're talking GUMS not tooth) and simply be a birthmark (dog equivalent of a mole). Bonnie actually has the cutest black birthmark on her tongue - just like furmom.
It might also be a sort of benign growth that big dogs sometimes get - a Sheppie of mine had something like that once. Annoying for the dog if it's not taken care of but not really dangerous.

But there's always a remote chance that this is just a symptom of a more serious problem (tooth related or - in rare cases- actually cancerous) so as I said, if you want to play it safe, see a vet!

Best wishes from Bonnie and humom :-)

Bonnie Brilynn answered on 11/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Have the vet check it just in case, but it's probably jsut a marking.
My dog has two cute black spots on her tongue and she has pink and black splotched all over her gums.