Pay Pay

AKC vs CKC

What is the big deal if a puppy is CKC or AKC reg. IF they have been vet cheeked. And the parents has had all there teast done and have pappers from the vet saying they are healthy. When you look to buy a puppy if it is ckc or akc dose it matter to you you were it is regesterd? If it dose wich one would it be AKC or CKC. And why would it matter were they are regiesterd through? As long as it is from a good breeder. is there sometink wroung with ckc. Why I ask is one of my friends is looking to buy a puppy I told her about some that was ckc and she said she did not want a ckc puppy. I don't see what is worng with ckc?

Asked by Pay Pay on Mar 22nd 2009 Tagged akcorckc in Breeds A-B

Best Answer

Lexie

I do agree with abby that ckc will reg anythink. And you should be veary carefull about buying a puppy. To me it just might be me that IF you go to the breeders house and the puppys and grown dogs are well taken care of and were they stay is clean. And the breed has done all heath test on the parents and the hole litter has been vet cheeked and they have been missed with for day one. To me pappers are not importent. But you must make sure is is a good breeder. And yes I agree you can find a good breeder that dogs are not reg and thrught ckc and akc. You can find bad breeder in all threre. But as long as all the pups and grown dog are well cared for I say pappers don't make the dog the dog makes the papers. I'm not reg But I'm a good dog with no helth problems

Lexie answered on Mar 22nd.

Answers

Yes, it does matter.

CKC can stand for both Canadian Kennel Club and Continental Kennel Club. The Continental Kennel Club is NOT a reputable registry. They will register any dog if two people sign off on the dog being purebred, and photos of the dog are provided along with the registration. They also register mixed-breed dogs, such as PugxBeagle mixes (Puggles), etc.

This means that disreputable people, such as puppy mills and backyard breeders can get "papers" on the mutts or badly bred purebreds they produce, which, in turn, means they will charge larger fees for the pups to unsuspecting or ignorant buyers who think that papers equal quality or that they equal health testing.

If you're looking to get a pup with breeding rights or a pup you can show in conformation or attend sporting events with, AKC is the way to go. The only way, really.

It still does NOT guarantee that they come from a good breeder or that all health testing was done!

The CKC is so easy to fool when it comes to registering a dog. The AKC isn't perfect either, but they have more reputable breeders registered with them that the CKC does.
I'm sure that there are at least a few good breeders registered with the CKC, but one must exercise caution when looking for a breeder either way.

As for a clean bill of health from the vet, that is not all of the health testing that is needed in breeding. You also need to use the OFA (or PennHip) test--which tests for hip dysplicia--, CERF--which tests for genetic eye disorders--, and others. Some tests are breed-specific.

Ginger Smiles Primm

My Jack is AKC and perfect in every way. Than we got Ginger as a companion pup and she is ckc. She is pure MinPin but she has had SO many health issues! SO MANY! Including a slight palsy tremor that no one can figure out and is probly a spinal problem. She also has entropian sp? which is when the eyelash grows into the eye. Poor thing. We love her and she is the sweetest!

Ginger Smiles Primm answered on 3/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer