Agápe

Adding a third dog.

I own 2 dogs. The first one we introduced in our home was a 9 month old, spayed Boxer female (now 1 year 3mo.). The second is a Rat Terrier mixed, neutered male (1 year). My family is going to add a third dog, a German Shepherd male into our household. Does anyone have tips on safely and effectively introducing him to the other two?

Asked by Agápe on Aug 20th 2011 Tagged gsd, newcomer, adoption in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

That depends..how old is the gsd? If he is a puppy I would introduce him to the female first, on neutral ground, then to the terrier male. Monitor the intro closely. A leash walk with all 3 dogs can also help form the association of belonging. Have a crate for pup & places the others can retreat to if the puppy gets to be too much. Make sure to give the other 2 dogs lots of lovin & attention.
If he is an older dog then intros should definitely be on neutral ground & on leash, again done individually.
Do not leave all the dogs together without direct supervision.
I am going to assume you have researched gsds & their needs. They are a lot of work, but well worth the effort! Good luck

If the two you own, love the GSD when they meet - BEFORE you commit to taking it home - then go for it.

We have had 3rd dogs that got along great and some not so great. Even numbers seem to do best.

Keep in mind the amount of damage a GSD can do to little doggies if they are not supervised. Do not leave them alone together.