Acquired as pups, would a Doberman and Giant Schnauzer be compatible in the same home?

Asked by Member 902186 on Oct 17th 2009 Tagged doberman, pinscher, giant, schnauzer, compatible, breed in Doberman Pinscher

Answers

Brought into a home at 7-8 weeks, a puppy will adjust to almost anything. Past 12 weeks, who knows.

You do want to spend plenty of individual time withj each of 2 puppies to bond them to you, not each other.

7-8 weeks is WAY too young for large/giant breeds to be separated from their dam/litter mates!!

Jet

It isn't too young, Pippin. That's when you're supposed to take a pup from their littermates. Anyway, I think they'll be fine. It partly depends on their gender, so if they're neutered and/or spayed, that will help that much if they ever do turn aggresive to each other.

Jet answered on 10/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I agree that seven weeks is way too young. A good breeder will not separate a puppy from it's mother and litter until at least 9 weeks, sometimes 10.

Regardless, the question is about compatibility between breeds.....Generally speaking, ANY breed is compatible with any other breed, it's much more about the individual dogs than the breeds.

Yes, there is such a thing as blanket breed characteristics, but no dog is a textbook case. Each is individual and a better predictor of how two dogs will get along is the individuals' personalities rather than breeds.

Dogs of the same or similar size are often considered compatible if only for the fact that they are less likely to be physically mismatched during play (think Chi and Great Dane puppies playing) but there are plenty of mismatched sizes who get along fine with no problems.

I'd evaluate "who" they are rather than focusing on "what" they are, if that makes sense.

:)

I don't think the breed would have much to do with it.
My boston has always been raised with german shepherds.
Now he is on his 3rd one.
And I think he really thought he was a german shepherd, because when he saw his own kind, he was terrified.!!

So, it would be better to get two males or one male/one female. Of course neuter and spay them if you get opposite sexes.

Puppies seem to have no issues regarding their breed as long as they are same age. It will be a very interesting house with two pups just so you know.:)