8 month old chihuahua puppy has swollen vulva and vaginal bleeding, is this her heat?

I'm a first time puppy owner as an adult [had lots of dogs growing up, but didn't know their health details]. I just want to double check her symptoms. She has a swollen vulva and light bleeding. She is 8months old. I can't find any websites that tell me when chihuahua's period's start and how long they last. I don't want to breed her and i was planning on getting her fixed in the next month even before this happened. Please share your knowledge.

Asked by Member 792003 on Jan 13th 2009 Tagged chihuahua, heat, swollenvulva, bleeding in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Yes, this is heat. Heats lasts up to 3 weeks, so be sure to keep her away from all males for that length of time.
Around the 2nd week of heat, her bleeding should appear to noticeably stop. This is when she is receptive, so be extra careful during that time.
Best wishes.

Gina

We've had several female Chihuahuas & Chi mixes, & they all came into their first heat at different ages, all the way from 7 months to 1 1/2 years, so I would say that yes, this is her first heat. But call a vet anyway. I would also say DO NOT get her spayed until she is completely past the cycle, in 3 weeks. After that, she's fertile. We had a dog nearly 30 years ago, a high strung Australian Shepherd, an incompetent vet spayed while she was in heat. He didn't warn us it was dangerous, & shouldn't be done, especially on a hyper, high strung dog & we did not know. He said keep her still & we tried. We took her home, she ran around trying to get out, & bled to death internally in my arms. She would not be still, & we could not keep her still. We did not have the money to pay for kenneling & we never even heard of such a thing as a dog crate out in the country, that long ago. A compassionate, caring vet would have refused surgery until she was completely through her cycle.

Gina answered on 1/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Sounds like her 1st heat...Monitor her 24-7 so there are no "oops" litters & have her spayed a.s.a.p.!

We have a 3 yr. old Shi Tzu who is not fixed and I would say that is was around 8 mo. that she experienced her first period. It looked exactly as you describe--swollen vulva, and light vaginal bleeding that during daytime hours, she basically would take care of and clean up after herself. I swear, she is half cat! At night you probably notice a bit more staining becasue she lies in one place for an extended period of time. The spotting usually lasts about a couple of weeks. I have tried putting disposable diapers on her but she usually manages to pull it off. I had a good deal of success for a while (until she learned to pull the pad out) with an old, small pair of my little girl's panties, with a piece of minipad stuck inside, and the waist pinned to the proper size. Of course you need to cut a hole for the tail. Back seam of the crotch panel is in the right place. I know there's fancy pre-fab stuff, but it's expensive and this makes do for a temporary situation.

Yes, sounds like her first heat. Call your vet today so you can get a spay appointment set up so you're all ready to go when it's done.

Also, absolutely, 100%, do not let her out in the yard by herself for even a moment... and I'm not exaggerating. Intact males can smell a female in heat from very far away and will do practically ANYTHING to get at her, fences are no competition for a male dog's instinct. So during her heat (including the part of it where she isn't bleeding) supervise her at all times... it really only takes a minute for an "oops" to happen.

Yes,
duration sometimes 4 weeks
let your vet know so he can determine when to bring her in.
if there another male in the house she will get pregnant. keep male away in another room or crate. Or let male stay with a friend for awhile. Don't leave female outside unattended.