Jessie

6 year old Miniature Yorkie with bad odor and dry skin?

My fiancé and I just recently visited his mother. His mother has a 6 year old Miniature Yorkie. She was in SUCH bad shape, it was sad. She hadn't been groomed in who knows how long. She had long, matted hair and was infested with fleas. She had a bad odor. Her nails were so long that they were curling under and hurting her paws. I instantly took action. I gave her a bath, cut her hair, clipped her nails, and put some Frontline on her. She is much happier now that she is in our care. I brush her daily, but she seems to have really dry skin. It's so flaky. And she still has an odor. I thought maybe the dry skin had something to do with her diet, but I am not sure. They eat Earthborn Holistic. I don't know what to do? I want to get this pup back into the shape she needs to be in. She's such a sweetheart. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Asked by Jessie on Dec 4th 2012 in Grooming

Answers

That's really good you did that. Good for you. How long have you been taking care of her? Sometimes, it takes a while for them to recover. Maybe after a few baths and being on the new food for a few months will do the trick. Also, have you checked her ears and teeth? If she wasn't being care for properly, then maybe her teeth or her ears are in bad shape. That would make her smell. You might want a vet to check her out. Good luck!

Petri

She might be super sensitive to the shampoo you are using. You might trying using an organic one that is good for hypoallergenic dogs. I personally love PETfection Puppy Suds because it cleans well, rinses easily, and help moisturize. They also make a Deodorizer/Allergy Spray you can use in addition. It is amazing at helping with itchy spots/dry skin/bumps/etc. I use it for everything! I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Petri answered on 12/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Tiara

It may take a bit to get the dog back into shape. After being in that bad a shape for so long, the skin and coat need a bit of time to get healthy. I wish you the best , and agree to a vet visit to get her checked out.

Tiara answered on 12/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Buddy

it is really great that you helped the pup, and i hope this helps you help her even more! i am a dog groomer and this is the best advice i can give you! first, the skin may be reacting and extra dry if you put the frontline on less than 48 hours after washing her and cutting her hair...luckiy that should go away sooner than later. she may have had a reaction to the shampoo like others mentioned, so you may choose a hypoallergenic shampoo or i really like natures miracle raw oatmeal and medicated shampoos..if you are going to wash her again i reccomend getting a conditioner and letting it sit on her for about five minutes before rinsing. is she really itchy still? her mouth and ears and possibly even anal glands or more serious skin infection could be causing the foul odor...if her nails did pierce her paws she could also develop an infection there that can stink as well. running out of room hope this helped!

Buddy answered on 12/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer