5 year old dashchund potty training problems... HELP!

We just adopted a 5 year old dashchund and we're having problems with her going "potty" in the house. We got her on Saturday, and we were taking her out every half hour or so but still, she would go the moment we left the room! Her previous owner said she never had problems with her. I have been reading blogs saying that the best way to prevent this is to crate her. My husband just got a new job and will be working different shifts then me, so she won't be alone for too too long... but today, she'll be alone for 8 hours. She does have free range today, though, because we haven't yet gotten her a crate. Is this the right answer to fix this?

Asked by Member 1154678 on Feb 11th 2013 in House Soiling

Answers

You can expect some potty issues during a transition period. Crating woud be a good idea, although eight hours is a stretch. If that will be the norm, and it sounds like it won't, you might think about having someone let her out during the day, particularly as she gets older. If she goes potty in the house, reprimands won't work. Continue taking her out frequently. When she does go potty outside, make a really big deal about it--happy talk, treats, hugs and scratches, the whole show--so she can associate outside potty with rewards and inside potty with nothing. Many people use the bell method, where you hang it on the door at nose-level, ring it every time you take her out, and eventually she'll start to ring it herself. Most dogs will signal they have to go out, though some signs are more subtle than others. Mine barks and howls. Other dogs sit by the door, look at the door, stare at you meaningfully, etc. Be on the lookout for those signals as you get to know her better.

Wiggles BN

Dachshunds are usually hard to housebreak. During a transition it is normal for them to forget what being housebroken is. I would get a crate and crate her when no one is there to watch her. Look for her signals that she has to go (one of my dachshunds goes in circles, another will try and get out of my sight). Keep taking her out frequently and make a big deal of going outside. If you are gone for a long period of time, try and see if someone could come and let her out during the day. Also, some dachshund owners use pee pads (I dont but I know others who do), if her previous owner used pee pads that will make it harder to teach her to go outside. Treat her like she is a puppy who has never been housebroken, lots of consistency in her schedule, lots of praise when she goes outside.

Wiggles BN answered on 2/11/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer