lilly

3 year old boxer keeps peeing in the house, but ONLY at nite!! HELP!!!

shes been trained for a while, with the occasional accident, but ONLY at nite when we are sleeping. esp when the hubby kicks her out of bed. she goes out multiple times a day, and just before bed which lately has been at least midnite! this morning at 630am, i woke up to 2 spots. we already use natures miracle.
we also have a 12 week old puppy weve had since mothers day. im doing my best to make her feel better about the new puppy, and they play well together, no aggression she mommies her. could it be jealousy pee??? like shes pissed off at us for getting the new dog, so shes letting us know she angry by peeing? im getting really frustrated as the puppy seems to be doing better than her!! shes crate trained when we are gone, but not at nite and since we are in a condo, shed wake the kids up as she wines at nite

Asked by lilly on Jun 5th 2009 Tagged soiling in House Soiling

Answers

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

I would take her out every hour and if you catch her doing it disapprove by scolding, like look what you did, naughty.
I say just keep doing the regular bathroom breaks and crate at night if it persists.
I say she is not angry but being unbalanced with a new comer in the house, she may be experiencing more stress now. Just be patient with her.

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 6/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Katie

Hi Lilly!
First of all, you are not peeing because you're "pissed off," but you may be marking your territory or reacting to anxiety or changes in the household - even though you play well with the new puppy, you may be experiencing a bit of stress. There are several things your humans can do to fix this problem:

1. Ask them to take you to the vet to rule out cystitis. I started wetting in my sleep a few weeks ago, and it turned out I had a bladder infection. Antibiotics solved my problem within a week.

2. Once a medical issue has been ruled out, consult a behaviorist/trainer who uses humane methods.

Here is a link to my trainer's website, where you can find articles on selecting a reputable trainer and step-by-step instructions on getting your dog to stop "Marking indoors." www.k9techsupport.com

3. If whining in the crate is a problem, try sleeping in a cozy, small space like the laundry room. I'm not a fan of sleeping with the humans. GL!

Katie answered on 6/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bama AKA

I would keep her in her crate til this behavior stops. If she keeps having accidents at night it will only get worse, or make sure to let her out once in the middle of the night.

Bama AKA "Buddybear' answered on 6/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sassy

Definitely go to the vet. Nighttime accidents could be an infection or possibly spay incontinence.

Sassy answered on 6/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer